Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I have numerous favorite baits, one of my all-time favorites is a nice fresh grasshopper. I've been using them as bait all of my life. In the summer, when there are lots of grasshoppers available, I'll go out and catch a jar full of them before I go fishing. We own a stock tank that is about 4 surface acres of water and contains channel cats, bass, crappie, and perch. When nothing else seems to be working as bait, I can always count on a grasshopper to get a quick bite. I've been using them as bait for about 40 years now and I don't know of any species of freshwater fish that won't instantly try to devour a nice fresh grasshopper that is offered as bait. The big yellow ones, about 2 1/2 inches long, seem to be particulary enticing to fish. It's not often that a grasshopper will last me for more than one cast....something will snatch it up quick!

· Registered
188 Posts
Grasshoppers are excellent bait! I have only started fresh water fishing again in the last year or so and forgot about that. I used to use them all them time when I was a kid because I had to catch my own bait if I wanted to fish.

· Registered
89 Posts
How do you hook a grasshopper without killing it, or does that matter? And can you fish the bottom with them?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stick the hook in through the underside of the thorax (the little square-shaped part that the legs are attached to) and then run it through the abdomen (tail). Insects can live for quite a while with hooks stuck through them and they can even survive for a good while without drowning. Usually something eats them before they have a chance to drown. Sure, they work just fine on the bottom.

· Registered
89 Posts
Thanks, once the grasshoppers start hoppin around here I'm going to give them a shot.
Dean.

· Registered
188 Posts
I remember an article in Outdoor Life when I was a kid (one of those back page short, humorous ones) about using grasshoppers for bait. The author rigged a big wire scoop on the front of his truck and drove through the tall grass to catch 'em by the pound.

· Registered
4,336 Posts
Also easy way to catch them. Take and use your light that clamps on your hat. And go out in the evening after the dew falls. With a light and at night we have caught over a gallon in 1.5 hours.
they will sit tight and not jump as bad at night after the dew falls. And they also move up to to the tops of taller weeds then also. Its just a matter of picking them like berry's and placing them in a gallon milk jug or 2 litter coke bottle. I cut a U in the side of the bottle and stick them in that U and it closes back after pushing one in this way.
But the best way we used to catch them was building a catch deal for my truck then drive through and catch 5 gallons in a few minutes. It fit under the hook and stuck out front of the truck. Was just a big cage with a net to throw over it when you stopped.
Pete

· Registered
74 Posts
I remember an article in Outdoor Life when I was a kid (one of those back page short, humorous ones) about using grasshoppers for bait. The author rigged a big wire scoop on the front of his truck and drove through the tall grass to catch 'em by the pound.
I remember that story, though I read it in one of his books:

Amazon.com: The Grasshopper Trap (9780805001112): Patrick F. McManus: Books

I've caught trout on grasshoppers, but never cats. Though I've heard that Mormon crickets make great bait around here when they're out swarming. Friend of mine told me he and a friend were out fishing for bass when a swarm came up.

Mormon crickets can't fly, but once they get going in one direction, nothing stops them. The Mormon crickets started falling off the ledge the two of them were standing on, and he looked down and could see the catfish were sucking them down. They switched to using them as bait and caught 85 cats in one day before finally having to leave.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.