Grass seed

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by catfishermanj, Apr 4, 2006.

1. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    I hope this is the right place to post this. I live in NE Illinois and currently our weather keeps changing from 40-70 degress during a week. I would like to plant some grass seed and am wodering if it is too early for me to do so? I'm not looking at doing my entire yard just several areas were the dog has created paths and where we changed a few things last year. I want to stay on top of my yard this year so I would like to start as early s possible. Are there any tips that I should know? Thanks

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    When I lived in Peoria (was there 31 years), I threw grass seed on during the snow or shortly there after. The ground freezing and thawing would put the seeds into those little grooves and would do most of the physical labor. I used kentucky 31 seeds (lawn fescue). Makes a decent lawn.

3. catfishermanj

catfishermanj New Member

State:
    Illinois - McHenry
    Thanks for you input, I will get going on the project.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I would go with an Indica F1 variety. These strains produce huge buds....Oh wait, this is lawn....opps my bad!:p

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Never to cold to plant grass seed, in fact if you put it in the freezer
    overnight it will germinate sooner, got this tip from a landscaper.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Go a head and plant it. I use to run a turf crew @ Purdue U. If I my suggest a #17 mix in seed. Blue grass takes along time to come. With 17 mix you get 3 different seeds one being blue grass which looks the best. As the blue grass grows it will choke out the other grasses. The other 2 grow at a faster rate than blu. Please keep in mind that you should keep the seeds damp. Damp meaning NO puddles when watering. Straw will help in keeping moister in in.
    I take a rake and "groove" the dirt then applie the seed. ( it does not require alot of seed) I then walk on the seed to help it "set" in the soil. DO NOT spray with trimech or 2-4-d etc. while it is growing. Death will come quickly to the grass you just planted. Also do NOT put pre amergent on it while growing to help keep th weeds down. The vapor barrer from a pre emergent will also kill your growth.
    To those of you that want a nice lawn it is time to put pre emergant down. With or with out fertlizer. Me I hate to mow so I use straight pre amergent. It really helps with the crab grss control! The dreaded yellow flowers are coming. If anyones has turf question please ask.
    Bill

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks for your offer to help, Bill - I'll take you up on it! The house that we just purchased has a lawn that is comprised, from what I can tell, mostly of clover and a very puny & patchy lawn that appears to have beed seeded right on top of red South Carolina clay. There are several bare spots for which I purchased a combination fescue/blugrass mix and some top soil. While I plan to prepare the bare spots by digging them up removing some of the clay and replacing with topsoil, then seeding, would it help the rest of the lawn if I worked in a little topsoil as well, and maybe using any leftover seed for overseeding?