Grass Carp.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Trahviiz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I just thought I'd share. This carp was caught directly in front of Westside. It's from another site I follow. [Indy Carp Talk] The weight is 30.04lbs

Attached Files:

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Do you know if it was a legit catch or did the guy snag it? Those things are real tough to get to take a bait. I've tried everything from grass clippings, trout marshmellows, cherry tomatoes and everything in between. I know where some monsters are here in town, judging by the size of the one in the pic, I'd say the ones here are pushing 45-50lbs. Imagine that on bass tackle!

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    It's for real, that guy is freaking hardcore when it comes to carp. He's always holding something huge.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
  5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got 12 of those that are sterile in my pond they're expensive to buy and they do a superior job keeping the green stuff out- so I don't fish for them... well I did ONCE. I tried all kinds of stuff to get them to bite. Finally I tossed bread pieces on the water where I seen them hanging out together - soon they started suckin' 'em off the top when they started that, I tossed a bread ball on a hook ( no sinker so it floated) and blam!
    MAN what a fight! The stress nearly killed it. It floated on its side for a long time after I turned it loose. That guy has a jacket on... those things hate cold water- and winter before flatheads so I'm surprised.... catching that had to be a fluke!

6. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for posting the pic Travis, it is a monster!

And also thanks Dr P. for warning about the vitality (or lack there of) of the grass carp. My parents have some lunkers in their neighborhood pond, and I have thought about trying to catch one. I'd hate to risk killing one and making the whole neighborhood mad a my mom and dad.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    wow that thing looks like a pig! i caught one on a spitin image top water on the tippy once. it probably went 12-14#s. thats the only one i have ever caught.

ill have to try the bread thing next year,thx pepper.

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    The guy in the picture is a good friend of mine and has caught several grass carp in that range. He and I used to fish together alot. There are a lot of grass carp in the White river...but they are hard to catch.