Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I've only caught 2-3 in my whole life and they were all on accident. I caught them all on nightcrawlers. I can't say thats the best bait but the only few I've caught were on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am going to release them afterwards i just want to catch them because of the fight.is there any particular way to make the dough balls?i tried using water and flour and it would stick to my hands and always fall off of the hook as soon as it hit the water.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
we had a game warden come to one of our meetings and he had a film on comm.fishing for grass carp.the guy in the video had a boat load of them.he,the guy catching the carp,said he made his own bait using bananas,caned spinash,and wheaties.he made dough balls and used trebile hooks and was making a living.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we had a game warden come to one of our meetings and he had a film on comm.fishing for grass carp.the guy in the video had a boat load of them.he,the guy catching the carp,said he made his own bait using bananas,caned spinash,and wheaties.he made dough balls and used trebile hooks and was making a living.
he was fishing for grass carp?or just regular common carp.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
i am going to release them afterwards i just want to catch them because of the fight.is there any particular way to make the dough balls?i tried using water and flour and it would stick to my hands and always fall off of the hook as soon as it hit the water.
I got in to fishing for common carp last year just for fun. I use just regular corn tortillas. I cut them into quarters and set them on the counter until they bend without breaking. Then i put them in a ziplock for transport. I use a 4/0 hook and fold them twice and on the hook they go. Catch and release for me. Alot of foreigners get mad at me for releasing them instead of giving them away. Nevada law states you cannot give away fish even to another fisherman with a license.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have managed around 7 grass carp in the last 3 years. Here are the baits they were caught on:
3 on floating bread free lined
1 (MY PB pf 23lbs) on Tutti Fruity Grits pack and boilie
1 on Banana peel
2 on bread hair rigged on bottom

IMO if you can see them and free line bread on top to them it is a lot easier and you can be selective but so can they. They are easy to spook and have to be handled with care because they are not as tough as the common carp. I have heard about using cherry tomatoes but have yet to do so. A local pond has amonster that I hooked but got off a the net that I may try those for. I have had 40lb cats and 34lb carp but this grassie may have surpassed them all. It easily went 50in and probably in excess of 40lbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have managed around 7 grass carp in the last 3 years. Here are the baits they were caught on:
3 on floating bread free lined
1 (MY PB pf 23lbs) on Tutti Fruity Grits pack and boilie
1 on Banana peel
2 on bread hair rigged on bottom

IMO if you can see them and free line bread on top to them it is a lot easier and you can be selective but so can they. They are easy to spook and have to be handled with care because they are not as tough as the common carp. I have heard about using cherry tomatoes but have yet to do so. A local pond has amonster that I hooked but got off a the net that I may try those for. I have had 40lb cats and 34lb carp but this grassie may have surpassed them all. It easily went 50in and probably in excess of 40lbs.
wow thanks for your help, but what is a tutti frutti grit pack?sorry im new

·
Registered
10 Posts
the best way i think to catch grass carp is using a small panfish hook with a strudy wire and a piece of bread take of the crust and form a big ball. use no leader weights and bobbers. try using a ultralight system with 4-6 lb line

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
two years ago my father in law caught a 37 pounder on shrimp. it was one hell of a fight. i made cutbait out of it and caught a bunch of channel cats.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.