grass carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by beetlespin91, Mar 31, 2008.

1. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
    i am just wondering what would i use as bait for catching grass carp.

2. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Maybe Grass? Dunno if dough bait would work or not. They are plant eaters.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've only caught 2-3 in my whole life and they were all on accident. I caught them all on nightcrawlers. I can't say thats the best bait but the only few I've caught were on them.

4. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I guy i know who use to fish at a local lake use to catch them on dough balls. after seeing this i guess they will hit dough baits. You should try it out.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never caught one before but here in Kentucky they got a rule if you catch them you have to put them back in the lake you catch them from

6. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
    i am going to release them afterwards i just want to catch them because of the fight.is there any particular way to make the dough balls?i tried using water and flour and it would stick to my hands and always fall off of the hook as soon as it hit the water.

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    we had a game warden come to one of our meetings and he had a film on comm.fishing for grass carp.the guy in the video had a boat load of them.he,the guy catching the carp,said he made his own bait using bananas,caned spinash,and wheaties.he made dough balls and used trebile hooks and was making a living.

8. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
    he was fishing for grass carp?or just regular common carp.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got in to fishing for common carp last year just for fun. I use just regular corn tortillas. I cut them into quarters and set them on the counter until they bend without breaking. Then i put them in a ziplock for transport. I use a 4/0 hook and fold them twice and on the hook they go. Catch and release for me. Alot of foreigners get mad at me for releasing them instead of giving them away. Nevada law states you cannot give away fish even to another fisherman with a license.

10. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have managed around 7 grass carp in the last 3 years. Here are the baits they were caught on:
    3 on floating bread free lined
    1 (MY PB pf 23lbs) on Tutti Fruity Grits pack and boilie
    1 on Banana peel
    2 on bread hair rigged on bottom

IMO if you can see them and free line bread on top to them it is a lot easier and you can be selective but so can they. They are easy to spook and have to be handled with care because they are not as tough as the common carp. I have heard about using cherry tomatoes but have yet to do so. A local pond has amonster that I hooked but got off a the net that I may try those for. I have had 40lb cats and 34lb carp but this grassie may have surpassed them all. It easily went 50in and probably in excess of 40lbs.

11. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
    wow thanks for your help, but what is a tutti frutti grit pack?sorry im new

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thet was grass carp the ones they call white amours

13. bigcarp

bigcarp New Member

State:
    england
    grass carp love corn, but I found any sweet cereal that floats is also good
    but be careful grass carp are no where near as hardy as normal carp and take time to revive

14. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Its a form of chum for carp that is made out of instant grits, regular quick grits and corn mixed together with flavorings like tutti fruiti. Cheak the post here and you should see a post that says grits pack for more info. My thanks to Mcwrestler for the recipe.

15. chuckmikulik

chuckmikulik New Member

State:
    ohio
    the best way i think to catch grass carp is using a small panfish hook with a strudy wire and a piece of bread take of the crust and form a big ball. use no leader weights and bobbers. try using a ultralight system with 4-6 lb line

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    two years ago my father in law caught a 37 pounder on shrimp. it was one hell of a fight. i made cutbait out of it and caught a bunch of channel cats.

17. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
    wow thanks for all your help guys. ill see what i can do with your ideas