Grass carp report...

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by C_wernett, Jan 29, 2006.

1. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Buddy of mine and I went out to see if we could trick a couple of grass carp into eating a bait or two...I skunked out...but my buddy got two real nice ones. Not giants, but real nice fish!

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool man, those are some nice ones. I bet they put up a great fight. How did you catch them, like what kind of rig and bait? I'm trying to learn how to catch them better, I like how they fight.

Thank's for sharing the pic's!:)

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Nice fish man. I'm curious, there is a lake nearby that was stocked with grass carp and there are signs around the lake that say you can not keep any. Can't remember if it said "please" or "must". Are they a short lived fish, slow to reproduce or just plain expensive ??

4. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, truth is...you have to know where the feed...they have what appears to be very specific feeding "zones"...and I'm not just talking vegitation...they eat more than just plants...as it apparent when we catch them on circle hooks baited with night crawlers...but like I said, you have to find the areas where they feed. The area we fish, it appears that they are actually feeding juvinile clam beds, were they are grazing and we just place our baits right there. We use a standard slider rig, with a smaller circle hook. The trick is to pick up the rod and tighten down to set the circle hook as soon as they pick up the bait, or you'll miss them everytime! They hit a bait like a sunfish and then thump it strong once...and then it's over.

And as far as that local lake goes...it's not that they are slow reproducing, grow slow, it is bit expensive to keep restocking them...but the biggest thing is how clean they keep a lake/pond of vegitation...they eat almost non-stop!

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thank's for the info.:)

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    great info thanks for the post. and congrats on catching 2 nice fish

7. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If it helps others, I'd like to see some others catch a few...My goal is to catch one one my light gear, it might take me half a day to accomplish it, but I think I would be a blast and one hell of a challenge!

8. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    nice fish,i have seen many but never seen any caught.great info on how to catch these fish.thanks alot:0a31:

9. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    pound for pound carp put a good fight i think