Grappling/Noodling on High Rock/Badin - Give your opinion

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Cattledogz, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    This article is in the Winston-Salem Newspaper and asking for people to send in their opinions. Please oblige and send in yours!
    Grappling Article

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Well, interesting read. I support noodling although I have not done it in years myself. However, I cannot support this sport when they use scuba gear and iron rods with hooks to help them. Talk about destroying a spawn, they really are doing this in a big way. A real noodler goes into the water with nothing but his hands... no gaffs, no ropes, no hooks, just man against nature, so to speak. It is not as easy to wrestle a large catfish as you may think...sure, many of you have grappled with a big cat trying to get it in the boat...but I bet most of you use nets or gaffs. Noodlers get a green fish every time... not one thats tired. But when you stack the odds against the fish by using scuba tanks and man-made implements, you have taken the sport out of this sport. I think we have enough government regulations and interference in just about everything we do...but I sure wish each and every state would make it illegal to use anything but your hands when noodling.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    hate to bust that guys bubble but i dont think noodlin was invented in the 1970s.my family has been noodlin sense the 1800s.second using scuba equipment is cheating.bare hands and holding yur breath is the real way to noodle.i do comend him on his releaseing the fish.most noodlers are catching fish to eat.

4. skiff_2

skiff_2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If they are disrupting the spawn, it should be put to an end. The article does report that they keep meticulous records and release all the fish. Is thier record keeping benifiting the NC Wildlife folks in any way?

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    He is so full of himself, LOL!!! Invented it in 1970, LMAO!!!!!!
    Even if he releases them, the nest is destroyed for that season. That fish will not return to the nest. Furthermore boxes are nothing more than traps set by noodlers, at least have the cahonies to go after them on their terms!!!!

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i want to see the permit he has to place all them hot water heaters and bath tubs in our public waters! i seen this fellow on cabelas memories in the field one day. i sent them a email asking them what they get out of this. do they sell rods an reels or scubba diving equipment. never got a reply from them. he dont release all of them either. i have seen pictures of him at sporting good stores with notes saying "possible state records" with dead fish hanging from trees.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to hear I can dump my trash in the lake and call it a "nest".

Interesting too that he thinks his fish would count as a state record.

8. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I think this guy needs to go noodlin' in southern florida... Then he won't be around to harm the species...:hell_boy:....(gatorbait!)

9. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i thought grapplin was illegal in nc im gonna look in to i have a couple of gws iim on good terms with ill ring them if i c them

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Obviously the guy aint too bright and I have a feeling he'll be in some trouble over dumping appliances illegally.

Other then that, I know there are people that dont care for my rod and reel method of fishing. I dont personally care for some other methods myself but I would rather see folks fish then not.

The war against the outdoors people like the hunters and fishermen is a war of attrition. The more numbers we have the larger the voice against these wacko leftist terrorists.
    I can honestly say, I dont care what you fish with. Just clean up your trash.
    The only laws I want to see imposed on all methods of fishing are remove your trash laws that span from jugs, bush hooks, bait cups, diapers, fishing line, and even the stupid crap you try to burn in a campfire like beer cans and bottles.

I've been fishing since I was knee high to gnat and I've learned, you dont believe everything a fisherman tells you including ones wearing scuba gear.
    I'm sure many rod and reel fishermen have talked junk to them and I'm about positive they are willing to say about anything to tick those rod and reel guys off.

It aint no different then this board. Some posts in threads are designed (some cleverly and some not) to incite a riot. The whole article appeared to be a great big stab at somebody to me.
    In your face. "ha ha I'm taking all your big flatheads".

Now I want to know as much as this guy claims he is on these lakes doing what he doing and we have so many BOC members that call these lakes home.
    Why is it just getting posted on the BOC in the form of a some setup newspaper article?
    Its been going on since spring and nobody knew about it?
    Come on, how much of this crap do you really believe?

It actually sound like a stunt some rod and reel fishermen would pull to bring attention to the current state laws or lack of laws.

11. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You can't be serious? Yeah, some guy is going to go out and take diving lessons and pay for that expensive gear and then go do something they don't believe in at all just to prove a point. People do know about it, they just don't want to publicize it b/c then it will bring attention to it and possibly bring more idiots to dump stuff in the water to go grabblin'. catfishrus said he's seen pictures of the guys in tackle shops, so it's been documented they've done this before.

And also, with your comment at the bottom it seems as though you may be trying to insight a riot. Someone with as much clout as you have on this board should know better than that.

12. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Ya those pictures are posted up at HWY 49 Sporting Goods. Seen them myself. Anybody can go up there and see them.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    tomahawk the pictures was removed the last time i was in there. if you can look back a year or so on the cabelas memories in the field show some how you will see him on that show. they might of pulled it i dont know but a few of the boc members knew about this last year when i emailed the show after seeing it on tv. it was right after eric caught the state record because i put that in the email also. he had one big blue that said possible new state record wrote on the picture. there was other fish in the 50-60 lb range that he was holding up standing in the water. he might of released those but not the big one in the tree i was referring too. at that time i didnt know what method he was using to catch them other than graveling. now we know.

mark this is just part of the problem we been having and we like to see some changes but we dont mind fighting it out as you can see. most of us that fish the yadkin chain and visit this store knew about this for several years. this is nothing new to us other the fact of what he catching the fish out of.....trash!

i still want to see that permit!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You can bet this. If he is removing alot of flatheads, he is a valued friend to the NCWRC.
    You'll have to call em out on the illegal dumping of household appliances into a water supply because surely they are overlooking it.
    Best case it'll cost him clean up and enviromental impact surveys.
    Worst case they ignore you.

We dont even sink ships for articificial reef purposes off the coast without them being thoroughly stripped and cleaned of potential contaminants.

If it bothers you , raise cane.
    Now is a good time to have friends in high places that dont mind stepping on a toe or two if need be.
    Aint no different then construction debris from new housing on the lakes being dumped off the end of dock.

Did you know landfills have to seperate out all household appliances from regular garbage so they can be disposed of properly?
    Atleast our landfills do.

Start your own newspaper campaign about this guy littering the water supply. An editorial in the same newspaper maybe?
    You cant hang around waiting for change, you gotta make it happen even it means thinking harder then the enemy and hanging up the fishing rods for awhile.
    Now wouldnt it be great if everyone just stopped fishing and followed this guy around with video recorders.
    Wouldnt a video of this guy rolling a water heater off the side of a boat in High Rock be a compelling argument? Do ya think that maybe alot of people would have something to say about it? People that dont even fish?
    This state does have water quality standards.

15. CMJ

CMJ Guest

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My clout doesnt go far. Incite a riot? Never.
    I've been around hunting and fishing a long time. Some people in both categories I wouldnt put anything of this nature past and if it brought a needed change it would be a novel idea.
    Its no secret the NCWRC has no intentions of putting any limits on a flathead.
    Wholesale slaughter or proported wholesale slaughter of a bunch of flatheads might turn a few heads of those with a weak stomach in the NCWRC and spur something called debate inside the NCWRC.
    I was just thinking thats its entirely possible that a fisherman or 3 had taken a page out of the deer hunters playbook.
    You gotta love the phone in deer tags. People filling tags over the phone.

17. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mark you might be right that they dont value the flathead but one part they do value is the money involved catching them. i havent seen them give out no free fishing license for flathead fishing only so they worth a little something.:wink:

19. CMJ

CMJ Guest

Well, if it is true, which I still can't believe it, there must be someone behind it in high places that likes to catch the red breasted sun fish you were talking about. There are flatheads in every lake I fish and I've never heard any of the bass, crappie, perch,bream, etc. fisherman complain about them, and those other fish populations are doing good.

20. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    you know I often wander who actually consumes more bream..(including the red breasted sunfish)....the flathead or the flathead fisherman...

think about it....:roll_eyes: