Graphite vs Fiberglass

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by SkiMax, Feb 9, 2009.

Which type of rod do you use?

1. Fiberglass

2. Graphite

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Just wondering what everybody likes and why. Fiberglass is cheaper so do you think there is enough advantages of Graphite to go with it? Do you use one exclusively or different materials for different applications? Ex: Fiberglass for catfishig, graphite for bass fishing. I know this can be a difficult decision for new fisherman so let's all discuss and maybe help somebody out when it comes time for them to buy a new rod!

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know bout everbody else but ive found that grapfite doesnt take abuse as well as fiberglass.i do most of my fishing on riprap of real rocky banks and the graphite seems to break more often.i know its my fault but ill stick to the glass.

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I use graphite for bass fishing where sensitivity is important. For catfishing I use rods that have a graphite core and fiberglass outer layer for strength and durability. Most all fiberglass rods don't have enough backbone for me.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Umm..well, there's catfishing, and then there's catfishing. A 30# reservoir blue and a 2# channel living in an Ozark Mountain stream both have whiskers, but that's where the similarity ends. And for the record, I'll take that little channel any day of the week. :)

If I'm going to bait up, cast, and let a rod holder do the work, glass is hard to beat.

But there are times when the sensitivity of graphite will help me catch more fish, and enjoy it more, to boot. For example, probing a hole with a jig and cutbait combo...

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd rather fish with graphite any day of the week but I'm not dragging graphite rods where I do alot my fishing.

Biggest difference is price. Where you can buy a custom made glass rod or some combination of glass and other things for around 80-100 bucks you aren't coming close to a graphite setup.
    My favorite blanks are G.Loomis. I'd be dragging 500 dollar rods up and down the Neuse in waders, canoes, and long hikes.
    It's just not feasible for that type of fishing.

Graphite is stronger in a different way then glass. Tensile strength.
    However they dont take chaffing, laying around in boats, or sudden shocks to well. Graphite is also alot lighter.

You aren't going to have graphite long if you dont take care of it. It's not a rod you hang out the window of the car to go fishing and let the wind tap it repeatedly on a window frame or lay in the bottom of the boat to be stepped on etc.
    It's in a different class altogether.

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I use both graphite and glass. I use the graphite when fishing for the smaller fish, better sensitivity to detect a small bite. I use the glass rods when targeting the big blues, they are tougher and don't seem to break as much, especially in cold weather. They both have their pros and cons, that is why I use them for different applications.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I view marlin fishing as some of the most vicious, dangerous, and difficult fishing in the world. Been around folks that died doing it.
    Been onboard for the long battles and seen the equipment failures.
    We're talking battling fish from a quarter to more then 1/2 a ton.
    What makes it so dangerous is that the vast majority of these fish are released and often tagged.

The boats I've gone out on used graphite rods. The blank alone runs 2500-3000 bucks. You'll have a couple a hundred in a handle and gimbal and that much again in eyes and thread etc. Then you got to pay somebody that knows what he is doing to put it together.
    Graphite can take the fish and the battle. The human is where in lies the problem with graphite, not the graphite. It's a stronger material.

The biggest difference is still price. It's a superior product and people here would have nothing but if it wasnt so expensive. It's cost prohibitive to alot of people in the size of rods used for catfishing.
    Thats really why most people use graphite for smaller fish. It's where it's affordable to them.

8. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    If you like both you can have it these days, there are blanks constructed out of both materials, you want tough? go with e-glass, thats the only advantage using graphite for catfishing [detecting light bites]. You can have your cake & eat it too!:wink:

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    What is the advantage of using a $3000 graphite rod to fish for big marlin? Is it just a preference thing, or is there a real advantage to it vs glass or composite for that application? Just curious.

I've owned and broken 2 cheap ($30) graphite rods, but have had better experience with the graphite rods that have a little bit of glass, the Ugly Stik Tiger Lite's for example. I've recently been fighting the temptation to try a more expensive all graphite rod, but will probably give in to it at some point.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I've only broke 2 rods in my life time. started fishing when I was old enough to be by dads side, around 3-4yrs old. They both were a glass composit blank, both busted on hook-sets. Now I take very good care of my equipment, to somewhat of an extreme. But the 15yr old stuff that I use yearly looks almost as good as new.and them old glass rods was treated the same and they busted,which I do not se happening to the graphite..:wink:

Started useing graphite and never even thought of another glass blank until recently, when I purchased a couple of Saltwater Jig/Boat Rod Blanks. Blended, EGlass and RX6 graphite 30-60# . and then thiers a 25-45#/25-60# Swimbait blank thats has Proprietary blends of high performance RX7 graphite,RX6 graphite and Glass materials, that has to be one of the best that ever hit the market, and one that I will be building for a long time unless they come out with something better in a 1 pc blank.

But when I come's right down to it..I fish with Graphite.I will fish a few of the Swimbait rods before long too.:smile2: Graphite; Its lighter and easier to fish IMHO..To each his own though..:wink:

11. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    test post

12. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I've broke those expensive G. Loomis graphite rods Mark J was talking about setting hooks on bass. Snapped them right in half. Just because it costs a lot does'nt mean it won't break. I use Ugly Stick Tiger Light's for catfishing which have a graphite core and a fiberglass outer layer. I've put them through a lot of abuse and have not broke one yet.

13. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I didn't vote on this one. Most of the rods I have are graphite. But I do have one fiberglass one-the Eagle Claw CatClaw casting rod. I haven't used it yet, though. I figure it is an inexpensive rod and I can try it. If it's too heavy I can use a rod holder.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I have all three composit, graphite, and e-glass. There is something about the feel of an e-glass rod when your bringing in a big fish, that I like the feel of. I say it has to do with growing up with glass rods, before I started using graphite and composit. Most of the graphite rods (st. croix) I use for bass fishing. I have a couple I use for catfishing, and the composit I use for both.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are breaking Gary Loomis blanks on hooksets you need to sharpen your hooks.
    There aint no problems with his blanks.
    Operator error.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I agree with Mark on this Bro. It is the first time I've ever heard of one popping.IMHO that blank had to have some kind of abuse, like a hit across the boat or some type of deep scratch caused by some type of rub against something to cause it to break.

I've set the hooks with graphites blanks right at the bank and pulled 4lb+ fish up out of the water and onto the bank. and never busted one yet. And I set the hook that hard each end every time to drive the hook through the hard upper bony mouth on these cats..:wink:

17. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've never broken a graphite rod either. They do not get treated any different than my Ugly Stiks or any other "durable" rod. My preference is usually graphite across the board.... My pocketbook tends to make me compromise a bit across the board...:smile2: No Loomis or other high dollar rods here. If money was no object, you can bet that I'd have them. For cats, I'd like to try the Shimano jigging rods in different lengths. Catching big fish on a 5 or 6 oz rod definitely has it's appeal.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am using combo rods which has e-glass and graphite in them.

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I like the glass rods, graphite is ok but it seems to me if they are loaded to fast even with a fairly light pull they ll snap.it seems like the glass are tougher to me any way.

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    You had a crack in the blank or something bro..IMHO..