Graphite or fiberglass? What is best?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Mr. Rooster, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    What are the advantages of each material? I have heard that fibreglass casts further and is more durable and that graphite is more sensitive. Is this true? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Eric,
    To say which is best depends on what type of rod you want. You are correct in that fiberglass is generally considered to be tougher while graphite is generally considered to be more sensitive but I would not agree that glass casts further than graphite. With the resins and weaves used these days both materials can be made incredibly strong and the best rod would arguably be a composite of both glass and graphite. Rods are very subjective and to get the best out of any particular one depends on lots of factors including your fishing style and physical build. As with many things, if it feels right it probably is...W

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From personal experience and from what I've read, graphite is too 'quick' to make a perfect catfish rod. Fiberglass, or E-glass, is 'slower' as well as being more durable. Kind of like a bass fisherman using a fiberglass rod for crankbaits instead of graphite to keep from actually pulling the lure out of the fish's mouth. Graphite is more suited for species or situations where a very delicate bite has to be detected, such as worm fishing for bass or crappie fishing with jigs.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would also say that, Graphite rods are not as suitable for catfishing as an E-glass or fiberglass rod. The conditions that most catfishermen encounter are pretty hard on equipment and a graphite rod won't hold up to them. Such as ; fishing on rip-rap banks, in wooded areas and bouncing around in a boat. These conditions will ruin a graphite rod, One Scratch and you have an instant weak spot in the rod!!!

5. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think the type of tip (fast/slow) on the rod and the rod length will increase/decrease the casting distance, more than what the rod is made of (fiberglass/Graphite). I can cast for more distance with a 7' + rod than a 5' rod. I can cast more accurate with a 5' than with a 7'. Rods with fast tips seems to whip the bait out more that a slow tip.

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glass rods will last much longer than graphite but I think the graphite may cast a little better but it may just be in the tip.I have mostly all glass rods and don't plan on getting any more graphite.
    Jake

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I personally like glass better than graphite. I mainly catfish and they are stronger and more durable than graphite. I have owned a couple of graphite rods that I used for catfishing but one of broke at the base when I hooked into a big ol' blue cat.

8. DaveHufford

DaveHufford New Member

State:
    Washington
    My experience with graphite rods has brought me back to fiberglass, with fishing reels loaded with Fireline. Over the last couple of decades, I have had at least 4 graphite rods break while I am fishing. Casting, spinning, and fly rods have broken, in use. Because I like to enjoy my time fishing, rather than being upset, I have gone back to all glass, E-glass, or even composite glass, ie Ugly Stiks. The slightest abrasion on a graphite rod will result in a break point. I fish in the real world and expect my equipment to function in that world.

I have used Berkley Fireline on all of my spinning and casting rods, for the last two years. The Fireline has no strech which means that you can feel the slightest manipulation of the bait. You don't fight with the strech and memory, that monofilament has, when using Fireline. If the line is sensitive, you will feel the fish with a light or heavy rod. I don't need to have the sensitivity of the rod tell me what is happening if the line will do it. This may be something you have to feel, when using Fireline, to understand what I am trying to explain.

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel