Graphite Catfish rod suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kitsinni, Aug 17, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am looking for a graphite catfishing rod to learn more about precision bait drifting. I have had some good luck in my initial tests with my current equipment but I would like to get a graphite pole and really give it a shot. I was taught to fish without clickers or bobbers, I just held the line an felt everything. I really like the idea of feeling the bottom and all the bites. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good graphite cat pole that I could buy off the shelf someplace? I have seen some people buy custom poles but I would prefer one off the shelf to practice with until I figure out the technique a little better.

Thanks,
    Niko

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    A lot of guys on here use musky rods for drift fishing. The Bass Pro Graphite Series (GS) 6'3" heavy musky rod gets a lot of good reviews. Price is pretty good too at around $45. Personally, it's a bit short for me, but I haven't fished it, so don't read too much into the length.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well in graphite i would just go with Berkely big game rod.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    That rod isn't graphite, it's fiberglass.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe they misprinted the rodtag then.. :confused2:

6. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I have 4 of them great rods for in a boat. Rods handle 40# test lines I have 30# braid on 3 rods and one with 50#braid. All of them cast great and you can feel every thing on the other end. Great rods for the money they are light weight to handle when casting and strong when setting the hook.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What rods are you referring to?

8. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    actually berkly big game rods snap like tooth pics i wouldnt use one of them if u paid me to............RAT

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    For years I used Bass Flipping sticks.. The rod for me has to be light as your I'm holding it for hours. It has to allow me to feel everything my hook and sinker touches . Enough backbone to handle a good fish.
    As I posted for years I have used Bass Pro Flipping Stick and a All-Star Flipping stick. These rods were rated for up to 25 lb line and 2 oz's of weight. I ran 50 power pro on them with up to a 4 oz weigh and 2 2 hook rigs and big baits. Held up great.
    Also Look at the Pete Maina Muskie rods
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...UCT?ordProd=Y&CMID=TOP_selectitems#itemDetail
    Length I like one 7ft or better. Able to move lots of line when you need to.
    Also the last 2 on that page would for me be a good one.
    Theres lots of rods that will work. But I have to have a long handle. That fits under my forearm and back to my elbow. This gives you comfort for fishing and also allow leverage when your fighting a fish.
    Theres more to a good rod for Controlled drift fishing then other rods for anchor fishing for drift fishing in rod holders. As those rods your not holding for hours on end.
    Also I wish they made smaller Line counter reels that did not weight as much. We will see better reels and rods in the next 5 years for specific fishing uses as we do in bass today.
    Pete

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Okuma Solaris Surf rods are very nice. I have a couple that are 12' because I only bank fish. I am not sure what other lengths are available. I realize from a boat you obviously need something shorter.

11. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I agree with Pete the rod I hold is a flipping stick.I also keep looking for a small LC reel.If you find one let me know.

12. damcodon

damcodon New Member

State:
    Quincy, Illinoi
    After reviewing all the available graphite rods, I also think the flipping stick I used for years for bass fishing may be the best option.They are light enough to hold and cast all day. Many colapse into the handle for easy transport and storage. Strong enough for the big boys too