Graphing fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by ka_c4_boom, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i was out on the ohio river trolling along in my boat and came across a current break the surface of the water was slicker than the rest which was choppy , by the way this was in the barge lane . the main channel was 41ft the break went to 31ft i marked fish in a hole or dip on the bottom this dip was 34ft and from my guess about 40ft long it had fish stacked in it acording to my graph there were small fish 1/32 inch on up to 1 inch on the screen these were bigger than any fish iv ever marked . there were fish from one end of the hole to the other i set up river for an hour and a half with fresh skipjacks 5 rods out changed bait twice on each rod with no hits . heres my questions: could these fish have been spoonbill ? how can you tell spoonbill from catfish on a graph is there a way? if these were infact blue cats were they not hungry was i there in a non feeding time or a time of rest . iv marked fish several times and have never had trouble catching them but this time urked me thoughts and opinions welcomed

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Could have been spoonbill, but I'll bet they all wasn't had to be some blues or flats.

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wonder that alot, I think Ill start carrying some carp bait just to see if there carp.

4. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    If the fish on the graph have whiskers then they are cats...lmao

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I need a graph that will pick those whiskers out!!!!!!!!

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I find a lot of holes like that on my finder, fish stacked like firewood! Sometimes i'll only pick up a couple of cats on those spots, so I guess placement of the bait is cruical. Also I would think the cats are eating pretty good being summertime, lots of food available in the water.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I don't pretend to be an expert river catter, (or expert anything, for that matter:roll_eyes: ), but I've noticed that when the cats gang up like that, they usually aren't actively feeding, or at least that's my thinking. They can be enticed to take a bait, but I think they mostly just hold up until darkness or something else triggers their feeding instinct. Just my .02. :smile2:

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    they could be most anything. we have found a couple spots like that below cannelton with similar results. but i did read something in in- fishermen years ago that might have some bearing here. it was an article by some guide on santee cooper. he said he took a client out to one of his hot spots and they graphed several big fish in a particular hole. well, they set over top these fish for 6 or 8 hours without a bite and all a sudden one of the rods doubled over! then another and another! when it was all said and done they had boated 8 flatheads all over 40 pounds( if i remember correctly)! anyway, the point was, they had to set over these flatheads and just wait til one of them decided he wanted to eat and it started a feeding frenzy. now i have read more articles over the years telling of similar situations with flats. so, maybe, just maybe, you got a bunch of lethargic flatheads sitting around down there just waiting to see which one will bite first. the thing is, who has the patience to sit that long in one spot?

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I really like this theroy, may be something to that cause like I said in my other post I only seem to pick up a couple in those conditions, which also leads me to believe that they are all cats showing on the graph.

10. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I just went to the Mississippi yesterday. I almost posted an identical thread. You read my mind.
    Maybe if they are flats waiting on seeing which one is going to start the feeding frenzy, this would be a good time to try a Catfish Caller/clonker!:confused2:

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i went back to the same spot last night this time i took my brother , vlparrish hes somewhat an expert lol on fishing and always good luck plus he has 6 rigs so together we had 11 rigs in the boat we set up on the very same hole and walla bam i caught 3 flatheads and he caught a blue and a channel , they may not have been the same fish as the night before due to the fact the water had dropped but they were cats . then later on up the river i hit my pb but thats in another thread lol

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, glad you went back and caught some of them, Charles! Good Job.
    I don't have a recording sonar, but I sometimes will freeze the screen and take a pic with the camera, then look at it on the pc to try and learn from what I've seen. If you get a chance to do that when you see something you're not sure about, post a pic and someone may be able to help you decipher it. :smile2:

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think blackwaterkatz may be right in his guess.

There is a 22 foot hole on a river arm I fish that is surrounded by 4-6 foot water. I always mark nice fish in that hole, but have never caught anything out of it. I have drifted it and anchored on it with no luck.

That has to be a holding or staging area, but I would bet that if you fished it enough and were there when they are hungry you would catch fish.

14. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Good Job Charles. Im Glad You Went Back To That Spot To Give It Another Try. Way To Go!