Grapefruit

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by pythonjohn, Jan 11, 2007.

1. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have this grapefruit tree and its loaded with grapefruit.
    My question is does anyone know how I can preserve the grapefruit, Jellys , Jams, Ect...Ect.. for future use.
    I really don't want to freeze them because my freezers are full.
    They are not not my favorite because they are tart and I like sweet fruit but I hate to waste them.
    If this is not the right section for this just let me know and I will try my best to put it in the right one.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what i know about making jam etc you could put on the head if a pin but i dont see why you couldent use the same recipe for say orange marmalade and just sub the grapefruit in place of oranges

3. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    We are harvesting Texas citrus, especially the meyer lemon right now for juice. I like to freeze mason jars of juice and thaw out in the summer when strawberries are fresh to make lemonade. Grapefruit, satsumas and others are also good to freeze juice or make marmalades.

I see so many trees locally with fruit hitting the ground and going to waste. I usually contact the owner and harvest. If we cannot use them my mother will deliver to the elderly or distribute within her church. We also have some local food shelters that can pass them out as well.

Grapefruit are great for breakfast with a big spoonful of wild honey on top as a sweetner. Most fresh citrus juice alone or in combination can be used to marinate fresh salmon, pork, chicken, etc. with the addition of teriyaki, soy sauce, etc.

Hopefully you can make something with them or find someone that can eat them and not go to waste. Good Luck!

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its amazing how many grapefruit can grow on one bush. My dad had them at his place in Winterhaven Florida and there would be hundreds of those pink grapefruits on each bush. He used a juicer and froze it in gallon jugs.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well if you have to many, I'd take a box off your hands.LOL
    Just kidding, but I do love the grapefruit. I peel them like an orange. Later Andy

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Thanks for all the help.
    My tree has about 300 on it.
    Anybody know how to make marmalade?

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    John,
    If you go to google.com and search grapefruit marmalade you will get a ton of hits for recipes for making it.

Good luck to you. :smile2: