Grape Vine questions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Salmonid, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No, not the kind to make wine with but the kind that grow up from the ground and take over trees here in the midwest.
    Im clearing fence rows and after clearing all the darn honeysuckle ( I hate that stuff) Im left with a few better trees of which most have some grape vines growing up all through them, Most of the trees are still alive but after yanking down as much as I can, there is still a bunch left up in the tree tops and I wonder if anyone knows anything to spray the roots coming up from the ground to permanently kill them? For the honeysuckle, I use Toradon and some other stuff ( homemade stuff but it kills EVERYTHING) and the Toradon wont even slow down the grape vines and I hate to kill a tree with the other stuff. Anyone got any good advice on how to keep them from coming back after getting hacked down to ground level?

Thanks, Salmonid

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Get some Crossbow and place it on the vine stump after cutting while its still fresh. Mix 5 1/3 fluid ounces per 1 gallon of diesel or kerosene and apply directly to the stump.

Getting the vines out of the tree's will be hard if they are big. If they are big enough, wonder if you could tie them to the tractor and pull them out?

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    JW turned me on to Crossbow, you can find it at TSP in your area. I have some back country that is getting sprayed this March :embarassed:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    On honeysuckle Crossbow is leathal. We use it here on the farm to keep the underbrush from taking off. It will also take out the lower branches in larger trees, for mowing purposes. Paul has told you a method to get rid of this pesky grape vines and it works... Like all things that are worth while.... It takes time and patience.
    Crossbow will kill young grasses and all broadleaf plants, read the directions carefully and heed the warning labels. This stuff works great.

Here is a label from crossbow:
    Features
    • Excellent control of woody plants and brush
    • Excellent control of annual and perennial broadleaves
    • No effect on grasses
    • Can be applied by all types of sprayers, from hand-held models to tractor-mounted spray rigs
    • No grazing restrictions for lactating dairy animals at rates of 2 gal./A or less
    • Rainfast within two hours
    Labeled Crops:
    Non-crop use only. Applications can occur in rangeland, permanent grass pastures, Conservation Reserve Program acres, fencerows, non-irrigated ditchbanks, roadsides and industrial sites.
    Application Timing:
    Postemergent weed control. Crossbow can be applied in-season to foliage or during dormancy. For best results from foliar applications, apply when foliage is actively growing.
    Application Rates:
    Rates vary depending on target weeds and timing of applications.

Here is a link to the MSDS Sheet for Crossbow. Find Crossbow on the list and go over to the MSDS section and click on it!
    http://www.cdms.net/manuf/mprod.asp?mp=11&lc=0&ms=3691&manuf=11

I hope this helps.

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, I figured Dread would know with his farming background. Ill check it out at TSC later this week, do you know if the spring is the best time to apply or can I do it now and have it still take effect?

And the vines are too brittle now for the tractor but in the spring, yes, will use the tractor most likely or just a come-along to get them down.

Thanks
    Salmonid

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I hope they are strong trees. Pulling them out with a tractor will take a few limbs with them when they come out. Be extra carefull and take your time. You can also wait for a few years and the vines will drop out in the wind as they rot.
    If you want them out now, you better get them down now cause if you wait very long the will be rotten and will snap easier later. They are dead once you cut them from the root.

7. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think what you a talking about is Kudzu, it looks like a grapevine but doesnt have grapes on it. In Georgia it is everywhere and will kill trees if not removed. The only way I know of to get rid of it is cut it back, spray roundup on it, then repeat in about a year, it will grow back less and less every year but if it is real thick it will take several years to get rid of it all.

8. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
  9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Nope we are just about 100 miles too far north for it to be Kudzu. Its in Central KY but hasnt gotten up to Ohio yet, Our winters are just too cold for it. This stuff is like a giant Ivy Vine and the base of the vines gets about 4" in diameter and crawls up trees and then spreads out and chokes the top of the trees to death, before long the trees will die and the vine will migrate over to another tree, its not as fast growing as Kudzu but simillar, any of you guys know the official name of this stuff?

Salmonid

10. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Not real sure here, but if you hack it to ground level and next spring new leaves come up, spray some roundup on the grape leaves only. This poison kills all plants through photosynthesis. So when you spray the leaves in the morning and the sun comes up it should be dead soon. Just a thought.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Good Idea but... Roundup has a limited effect on woody plants such as wild grape vines. The roundup that most people get at Wally world or at the lawn and garden shops is so watered down it is of little or no use.
    I can tell you from experience that roundup mixed 3ozs to a gallon (of water) will not kill dandilions or bermuda grass. It has it's limitations and you have to read the labels on these products before you buy them. Pure roundup is very expensive coming in at a whopping 110.63 for a 2.5gallon jug for Roundup WeatherMax!! This is the most economical form to get it in.
    It takes a week to 10 days for Roundup to work properly. It also takes alot of sunshine to make it absorb into the plant!!!