Grandson Tyler gets PB on Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 20, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Started out the day with a very light east wind, air temps in 50's, water temp @ 56.7, drifting from 12' to deeper, with fresh cut and live threadfin. After an hour or so, Tyler finally hooked up with the first fish of the day, a nice 40# Blue, his biggest ever. We tried to set up for another short drift by that area, but the wind changed to N/NW and we finally had to move out on the lake to deeper water (30'). After an hour or more of this without producing, I figured we may have seen the best, but I decided to move into more shallow waters, and eased in to a hump and let the wind push us from 12' to 22' of contour changes, about 1400, as the moon was due to rise, we started picking up some more fish, mostly smaller 3-8# fish. Tyler latched into a real nice 25# class flathead in 20' to finish him off for the day.
    About that time, I picked up an 8# blue, and had just rebaited and cast when something really nailed the fresh bait. After a few minutes of drag stripping, and trying to tangle all our lines and drift sock, I landed a 50# class blue, my personal best also.
    What a day. Tyler was thrilled, for sure. We both got new PB's. Great day on the water, but after landing the final 50 (released), we were ready to head for home.
    Water temps had dropped a couple of degrees from last Saturday, and we caught our fish a little deeper, in 15-22' of water. Depths over 30' didn't produce for us at all. Very little bait there, and therefore, very few cats. We ended the day with 10 or so fish, but some very nice ones.

Attached Files:

2. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Tommy you should be thrilled almost as much as Tyler. looks like that cat is as big as he is, you didn't say but I assume there was some shouting and laughing going on while he was in the fight. Great pics thanks for the update.

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    congrates tommy to you and the grandson. i see a new avatar on the way. flatheads too....i might have to make another trip myself..:smile2: congrates!

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Aren't grandsons the greatest! :smile2:

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Tommy, Congrads to you and your grandson. Getting PB's together will be a memory that the two of you will never forget.:wink:

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, we were both thrilled, big time! I was rushing a little to post these pics and made and error in the title of the first one. That was his big flathead, not a 40# blue, as I wrote. Sorry for the confusion. It's been a long day. We did keep the big blue that he caught, something I almost never do, but the fish had swallowed the hook pretty deep and was bleeding; don't think it would have survived. It's unusual to have a fish swallow a circle like that, maybe it was because the drift speed was so slow, and the fish had time to swallow the bait deeper, not sure.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    congrats tommy on the great day for you and your grandson,memories for a lifetime there,thanks for sharing with us,looks like ya both got an early christmas with 2 new pb's on the same day,i bet you want have any trouble getting him to go again.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man Tommy that's great. Glad somebody can get out and catch something. I hope to give it a try after the first of the year.

9. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Congrats to both of you and thanks for the pics. Those were some nice fish.:big_smile:

10. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Congratulations Tommy, thats great!!! You were on them big uns!

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It dont get no better than that and it couldnt happen to a better fella either.You said you where shootin for Roundhills 50+ lb class fish and I think you got one.I'm sure Tyler is probably hooked now too.I know Doug is probably wonderin why you put Tyler on a fish like that and not him.:smile2:

12. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Man those are some nice fish Tommy, Thanks for the Pictures. I bet your grandson had a blast !!!

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Tommy congratulations to you and your grandson Tyler on you new PB's. Very nice fish, all three of them and thanks for sharing.

David

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Awsome day Tommy you are one proud grandfather I know. He will never forget that day. He has some braggin to do when he gets home. Probably the only kid in school ready to get back to school to do some braggin. Congrats on the great day and time well spent with the grandson.

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats TOMMY to you and your grandson on great fishing exp. together. Those are some good lookin fish. Thanks for sharing.:wink:

16. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Way to go Tommy! Definately a day with your grandson to remember. Gotta love it. Years from now he will still be telling people about how his grandpa showed him how to catch them big blues. Right now there is no one other than you he would rather be on the water with. Congrats on the day & the PBs.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ha, Tyler is still talking about those fish this morning. He was one happy 12 year old. He says that now he's caught bigger fish than anyone in his family 'cept granddad. :wink: It's raining outside and winds are forecast, but he would jump right in if I were to load up right now, I bet. There's nothing like watching kids having fun in the outdoors. Thanks, everyone.
    Seemed like the fish, again, only preferred cut fresh bait rather than live.

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congratulations Tommy - and Tyler. Sounds like you had a great, made even better by sharing it with your grandson.

And thanks for the great report!

I haven't done any catfishing in about a month and a half (been chasing seatrout and a few sheepshead), but I think I'll have to give it a try over the holidays - maybe try the Santee or the Cooper River.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Nice day Tommy,bet Doug was mad!!!!!!:big_smile:Was that your boat in the picture with the scale?WHere did you get the arm or did you make it?Looks like you have gained a little weight and look hale and healthy.Hope you and your spouse are feeling well.WOrked my butt off yesterday as I was off for my birthday.Got all those household chores out of the way so maybe I can go fishing over the holidays.I have been leery of bringing the boat down with the low water and limited places to launch.Can you get bait down around Shortstay?That would probably be the best place for me to stay.:big_smile: