Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfathers turning 94 and about to leave us here soon and my brother was out there, and was given his fishing stuff, So my brother give me this one.. Man she's sweet to have that much age on her, and no telling how many fish. looking at it, I can still hear him talking to others about them when he got back from vacation down in Florida where he fished for sharks, Jew fish and the like.

I'm going to restore it back, close to its original conditional I can possibile.

It's a 6' Super Sports Magnum, Fast taper Solid Glass Rod # 9825, with a Genuine Carboloy tip top guide. Sitting on top of it wa the 112D True Temper conventional Reel spooled with about 1000 yrd's of multi-colored braided line of some sort that could pull a truck. Here's some shots of it.

I'd love to hear all the fishing stories behind it. LOL.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's so cool, man! I love using old stuff that belonged to my grandparents. My grandmother recently passed away and I ended up with all sorts of stuff from her house. I got some rods and reels that had belonged to my grandfather and one of the coolest things I salvaged was my grandfather's basket of trotline supplies. He had worked for Alcoa Aluminum, pouring molten aluminum, and had made himself a bunch of trotline weights out of aluminum. It appears that he put some wire hangers into molds of tin cans and some sort of cones and then poured aluminum into them. I remember using those weights when I'd go with my grandfather to set trotlines as a kid, so they are something I just want to hang onto as a memory and won't be using them as weights. I'd hate to lose them on the bottom of a lake somewhere. Sounds like you've got some nice useable equipment that should provide you with lots of good fishing and memories at the same time.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, Yes its going to be a wall hanger for sure. It will clean up nice. I was hoping not to re-thread but I cannot replace the gold paint under the green, so I beleive I will take pictures and tear it down and rebuild it back to its original specks after I clean and buff the guides and seat.

I'm going to/ (maybe not) tear the ole reel down and marble the side plates green with gold trim to match the rod.
This will be my winter project..LOL..

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, I will if I can post them,, as of right now everytime I hit the add files button to add a photo its freezes my pc and I have to sign off line and resign back on,, something about the link on my page I think.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike, AS of now I cannot add files to my photos, everytime I click on the add button it freezes my pc, then I have to sign off and resign on,,:angry: Its got me frustrated.. But when I get her done I'll get some of it up somehow..

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Can you imagine the stories that rod could tell if it could talk?
There would be no more lies..LOL.......The owner would be like that was a monster fish like 40+ and the rod would go are you kidding it was a 15lbr!! LOL

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There would be no more lies..LOL.......The owner would be like that was a monster fish like 40+ and the rod would go are you kidding it was a 15lbr!! LOL

:time-out: The owner of this one( my grandfather) would rather tell you he caught the 15lb'r than tell you a lie. No Bull just truth.

He's caught sharks, Big groupers, baracudas and no telling what else with this outfit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.