Grandpa needs help !!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by peewee williams, Apr 29, 2006.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My grandson in East Tenn.asked me for help on Spoonbill/Paddlefish fishing.As you grandpa,s know.Grandpa has to come through.I have never done it and he is wanting to get into it.Anyone out there that fish,s or snags for them? I need any and all information that I can get.Type and sizes of rods,reels,line,rigging,etc.Thanks,peewee-williams

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Pee Wee,
    I don't know anything about them. Perhaps if you post this in one of the TN state threads, someone would help you.
    Hope so!

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well when I lived in Colorado we snagged salmon. You want a stout rod like a broomstick really so your cat poles will work. Most use 20-40 lb test but with the new spiderwire I bet they went bigger. We used weighted treble hooks. I quit because you lost a lot of hooks and its an arm killer from shore. We would throw out and then yank and reel and then repeat. From a boat its similiar but you yank against the current.

4. The Undertaker

The Undertaker New Member

State:
    Miami Oklahoma
    Hey Grandpa,
    When I read your post I went the the "search" feature of the board and put in spoonbill snagging. This came up with alot of information on snagging spoonbill. But from what I did see Im finding them using large stiff surf type rods,50lb line and sinkers upwards of 8oz in conjunction with large treble hooks. There was even one post that showed how to rig the snagging hook and sinker up. Try this and Im sure you will find out what information you need to pass.
    PS: I have yet to fish for spoonbill so I could not give you an educated answer without looking it up myself and passing on what I found
    steve

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Pee Wee look under "Local Missouri Talk" there is some informative info there.:big_smile:

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Thanks for the help.peewee-williams

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Peewee send a pm to SPOONFISH as he is a master snagger and I'm sure he would help you out IF you don't find more than you want to know from the undertakers post.:smile2: :big_smile:

8. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I was introduced to snagging spoonbill in the Missouri River in the early 70's. We took a trip down to the Lake of the Ozarks. People were lining the banks just below the dam snagging some monster spoonies. We got busy and joined in from our boat. I can't tell you the size of the trebble hooks we used but they were huge. Big enough they had the weight built in the center of the trebble. One of those on the end of a twenty-five pound line, with another trebble about 18in. above it. I was using a seven foot trolling rod and my 209 Penn. Casting out 40-50 yards, let it get almost to the bottom, then jerk and crank retrieve. Two fish per day at that time was the limit. My partner was using a 6'6" two piece medium rod & Zebco 808 with the same rig. The smallest fish we landed was 35lbs. The biggest was 77lbs. I caught and released him further down river. I think it was 1972 and they set the state record while we were there at 104lbs caught from the bank. Fine eating, all white meat, NO bones anywhere, strong fighting, beautiful fish. Thank You for the oppertunity to share a wonderful memory!
    Don