Granddaddy's secret.....

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by germanmudfish, Jul 29, 2008.

1. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    My wife and I were talking with her brother this Sunday about the landing net idea I have, trying to see if there is some financial interest in it and we got to talking about their granddaddy's trotline/jug bait. Now he was a meat fisherman so he was after the eaters. He used all kinds of stuff in the mix, most I have heard here already, but he also shredded COTTON BALLS in the mix to help hold it all together. Anybody heard of this one?

2. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile:We used Cattail fluff to bind it up as it was free and did the same as cotten.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I use cotton balls and just mix them in. Its difficult to get it mixed up good in you don't tear them into smaller pieces.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use to use this stuff that they stuff pillows with, it easier to tear and mixes better than cotton balls. I also used cotton balls when using chicken liver, put a cotton ball on the hook and soak it in chicken liver blood and add a small chunk of chicken liver, saves on the chicken liver.

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I have heard of using all kinds of stuff from cattails, cotton balls, batting, and even feminine products.

I think I'll stick with the cotton balls and batting tho.:eek:oooh:

6. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Batting is a lot cheaper,and does about the same as cotton balls and easier to tear into pieces.

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello
    I used to pull a trebble hook through a cotton ball than make a small ball of Bee-Jay stink bait around it. Worked good for eater size channels.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John on this one. I always used the cattail fluff for a binder. Even works on dip bait.

9. Marcos

Marcos New Member

State:
    Texas
    Around here ther aren't too many cattails when you need them so we mix in cut up cotton balls.

10. boredinaz

boredinaz New Member

State:
    az
    i just got back from a nice trip yesterday, thought i'd share my new techniques, took down the halloween decorations and then came inside and read about the cotton ball trick, realized i just took down about 10 pounds of that fake spider web stuff you put up for halloween, tried that instead with great success. better than just tossing it every year

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Clint Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Thanks for sharing a good idea:0a23::0a25::0a25: