Grand River - Very Deep Hole, but no fish....

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by KewlBird, Jul 8, 2007.

1. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    I haven't posted in a while so quick update first. I bought a 14ft. Aluminum Sea Nymph (old narrow one) and an older 9.5hp Johnson, rod holders, anchors and navigation lights. For the last 9 days I have fished every day (my work is on a week long shut down).

Well, tonight was a second night attempting to go catfishing. I found an unbelievably deep hole in the Grand River by accident (wind was blowing so I decided to move where there wasn't much wind), it is over 15 feet deep and is fairly long. It also has downed trees in it closer to the shore. I measured the depth with my second anchor (pulled the anchor out and measured the rope), it measured over 15 feet at the current water level! This is between Knapp boat launch and Thornapple river. I fished there from about 8pm to 10:05pm without a single strike on either of the poles I set up for cats. Using the third pole I did manage to reel in rockbass, smallmouth, and a sucker using nightcrawlers. I used a cut-up sucker that I caught yesterday which sat in the refrigerator for a day. I set the sinker on the end of the line and the hook was a 4/0 wide worm hook about a 1.5ft above sinker on a 6 inch leader. The pieces of sucker were about 2 inches by 3-4 inches.

BTW, First night I fished at a different location at 8-9ft depth with same results.

Any comments or tips will be appreciated.

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Were you fishing alone? I ask because you mentioned 3 rods, and I didn't know if you knew about the 2 rod limit.......or maybe you didn't have them all wet at the same time?

3. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan
    There's a 2 rod limit?:crazy: I just assumed you can fish with as many rods as you want. I'll have to read that fishing booklet that comes with the license. Thanks.

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Congrats on getting to that spot with the river this low, I don't know how that's possible without dinging up your prop!

My rule is, the hotter the weather, the shallower I fish. Don't be afraid to plunk a bait in two feet of water, four feet away from the shore. Works for me...

5. KewlBird

KewlBird New Member

State:
    G.R., Michigan

Thanks for the tips. BTW the 9.5hp johnson has a shallow setting and I can power up to the rocks then I do have to shut it off for the 100ft stretch where the water is about 1ft deep.

I went back out there today and walked away with a 2lb flathead, that was on a nightcrawler and not on the pole I had live bait.:confused2: Had a boat pass by me and they had 5-10 channel cats about 2-5lbs each, they said they used minnows so there's definately cats in that area.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you need to move over to thoes trees and fisg as close to the up stream side as you can get.