Grand River tonight.

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by MapleRiverCatHooker, Jun 25, 2007.

1. MapleRiverCatHooker

MapleRiverCatHooker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tonight is my first night out fishing at the Grand River for cats.....mainly flats as I have still never caught one. Bluegills and shiners are the ammo and hopefully I'll have some pictures by the end of the night of some nice shovelheads and I:cool2:.

2. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Well...all in all it was a crappy night:confused2:. Can't find the deep water...or any water over 10 feet with logs or cover. Had to throw on some shrimp to catch some bullheads so I didn't feel so bad about myself....Hmm..my friend thinks he caught a little flathead, but I'm pretty sure it was a big bullhead.....are there any distinct characteristics that stick out for identifying if they're bullheads or little flats? Thank you.

3. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Nice Deer Richard. Is that from Michigan? What does it score?

Mel

4. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks Mel....I actually shot it on Drummond Island.....and I haven't gotten it officially scored but I'm guessing around 130. Does "Mel Drummond" have anything to do with drummond island or is that just a name?

5. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Yes......State land Michigan 9 point. First buck ever. :big_smile:

6. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Richard
    Mel Drummond is my real name. As far as I know there is no connection to Drummond Island though I don't know how the Island got its name. If you are interested in getting your deer measured I can give you the names of some Commemorative Bucks of Michigan measurers close to you if you tell me where you are located. This service is free though there is a charge to get it entered in the record book if it meets the minimum which it would if it is 130. The Minimum for a typical is 100 for a bow kill and 125 for a gun kill. Did you shoot it with a gun or bow?

Mel

7. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Well thanks Mel. I shot it with a gun, but wish I woulda shot it with a bow...I'm located over in East Lansing..

8. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Probably the closest CBM measurers to you would be one of the following

Buck Hagy ----Bath----517-641-6588
    Richard Wilt ----Bath----517-641-6570
    Ned Fogle-----Lansing---517-627-9410
    Ted Feight-----Lansing----517-487-6711
    Dave Valin------Lansing----517-321-3670

I know Buck and Richard and know of Ned but I am sure any of them would do you a good job. And be interested in hearing about how you got him. I just took the training to be a measurer last weekend and am waiting for my certification but I am located farther away than these guys probably are. I'm in Morrice, a little burg about 20 to 25 miles east of East Lansing just of I 69.

Mel

9. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    Great, I grew up in Bath so I will give Buck or Richard a try. Thanks alot. Yeah I've been in Morrice a few times....Well thanks for the info and I'll let you know how it turns out.

10. McCatfish11

McCatfish11 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    its not a 125 class buck

11. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've never heard so much whitetail talk in a river sector in my life! You could at least say you shot him by a river and then I won't have to turn you in.:smile2:LOL.

Nice deer though, congratulations. It looks to be about the size of the one I miss every year.

12. MapleRiverCatHooker

State:
    Michigan
    How about this.....I shot this buck very FAR FROM A RIVER WITH CATFISH IN IT.....(that I know of)....And I've been told by an official scorer that it is in the 130 range.....counting it as a TYPICAL whitetail even though it is a 9-point because it is damn near close to having both sides identical other than the 2 inch Right G4......Anyways...how bout them catfish?!:tounge_out:

13. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I would imagine if you bought Mel a floating headlamp and waited til he had his certification you could get that mount into the 140's. LOL:smile2: I heard he needs one to continue work on his underwater documentary of the Saginaw Bay.

14. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    I try to only do that when it's dark. You can get closer to the fish that way. Sometimes you even see a Catfish.
    Mel

15. Mel Drummond

Mel Drummond New Member

State:
    Morrice, Michigan
    Richard, I got my stuff today so now I am an official measure for CBM. If I can be of any help to you don't hesitate to give me a call. (517) 625-7146. I shot archery with Buck Hagy today and he told me Richard Wilt is on vacation. Buck would be available as would myself and probably some of those other measurers. You really should get that buck measured as it should make the book.
    Mel