Grand River report

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Apr 16, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Picked up my new boat on Friday the 14th and went fishing. The river was a little high but I got the 1st cat in my new boat. Just a small Channel Cat about 2lbs. I intend to fish at least a couple days this week after work. I can't believe I waited so long to get a nice boat. This thing is the ultimate cat rig. Sea Ark 1660 Tunnel Hull with 60 horse Merc Jet. No more worrying about hitting my prop on stuff in the dark. I caught the one fish Friday on fresh cutbait. Tried some Dip bait too but no hit's on that yet.

2. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    got another one tonight. Fish just about took my rod out of the boat!! I barely, and I mean barely caught the butt section of my new rod as it was going over board. I had just set the 1st rod and was baiting the 2nd when it hit. The fish fought hard. I really can't remember a 10 pounder ever fighting harder. Fish was released. Trying out a baitcasting rod for the 1st time. Maybe thats why the fish seemed to fight harder. Fish hit fresh cut bait. 5/0 Eagle Claw #84, 1 1/2 oz No Roll, 30 lb Fireline, spooled on my new Abu Garcia Ambasseduer Baitcaster. A buddy came along and fished with crawlers. He got a Largemouth and a white bass. He always seems to somehow catch a largemouth when we go catfishing.

3. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    hey riverkat,

where were you on the grand? i went out sat morning near the plainfield bridge, and had to chase a rod into the river....twice in about 2 minutes. didnt hook the fish, but no mistaking the strike of a big channel cat. cant wait to get back there this weekend, and see if i can get that ol boy.

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Took another guy out today. We fished from about 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm. We went 3 for 4 on Channel cats 7lbs to 12lbs. The 4th fish was lost at the boat. My buddy gave the fish way to much slack line and the hook came out. Cats are starting to pick up pretty good now. Seems like I get a few more hits every time out. I have not been able to catch one on stinkbait yet this Spring. All fish have come on fresh cutbait. A great afternoon on the river with Turkey sightings, Muskrats swimming by the boat, and cats on the end of my line. Even managed to get a little sun burn on my face.

Dan