Grand River Monitor

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jul 14, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    In one week, 7/7-7/14, the Grand River level at Grand Rapids is up over a foot to a guage height of 4.45. Discharge in cubic feet per second over the same period has DOUBLED from under 2000 to about 4000.

On top of that, there's thunderstorms- possibly heavy- predicted for tonight, just in time to mess up my fishing plans.

May everyone have a safe & fun weekend!

Tony

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Really could tell fishing tonight. My "home stretch" was a foot and a half deeper than last time I was out.
    Sweet.

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Guage height at GR spiked up from about 3.5' to nearly 5.5', and has now dropped back to about 4.75'. Big rain.
    This means more water under the keel, but there's always the possibility of trees & branches getting moved around. Still better watch out.

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Always the possibility of big cats getting moved around too Tony! Maybe that 50lb'er that's been living under a big root wad gets the notion to wander into your favorite little logjam!!

Dan

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    That's why I'm trying to swing TWO nights fishing this weekend!
    Good luck to you!

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, the water level for this weekend should be just about ideal for those fishing above Grand Rapids.
    After a high period following the Big Rain, levels & volume have moderated.
    This should mean we'll be fishing the river we "know" again, without many surprises. Floating leaves & junk should not be building up on your lines as much as they were during the high water period.

Side note: The high winds from the storm that knocked out the power for 400,000 homes in MI have also flopped a bunch of new trees into the river.
    Give these areas a week or two for the current to scour out a hole under them and give them a try, that's how I discovered some of my best spots!

Good Fishing,
    Tony

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Following a steady decline since 7/21, the level at GR is turning up this afternoon. This is probably due to the heavy rainfall that passed just south of Grand Rapids last night.
    This should make for good fishing!

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Guage height is at a mere 3.1' for the Grand at Grand Rapids, lowest level in over 6 weeks. Watch your prop if you're going out this wekend, or better yet, join us on the bank of the Maple River on the 19th.
    Good fishing,
    Tony