Grand River, Late September

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Sep 25, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi All,
    Well, the Grand is running higher right now than it has in a long time, and now that I'm done with soccer tournaments and other obligations its time to give the flatheads another try. Wednesday evening actually.

Has anyone been out lately?
    How did you do?
    Where did you find fish (deep/shallow/fast water/slow water)?
    What baits worked?

If no one tells me different, I'll be betting on thick cover in the deepest spot I can find, and along with live 'gills, I'll be fishing fresh cut sucker to give them an easy-to-catch option.

What's really nice is, now that it gets dark at 8:15, I can go fishing on a weeknight and not ruin a day at work!

2. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Tony, they should definitely be on right now with the water cooling off. This is the best time to go for sure with the mosquito levels tapering off, and the winter feed in full effect. I went last night, and the channel cat bite was on for sure. Of course I don't know about the flats...

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Victor-
    Glad you hit the channels while they were "on", hopefully the flats will behave similarly- I'll be sure to let you know.
    Tony
    Oh, and I look forward to introducing you to your next flathead, once you find a chance to get over this way!

4. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    As usual good luck Tony, I hope ya get a #20+ flat! I caught a 14 pound flathead at 5 after midnight 2 weeks ago where fast water met slow water just downstream of the bridge in Saranac on the north shore. If you go downstream of the boat launch, you'll notice a big fallen tree that extends half-way out into the river, and on the end of the tree the current is really moving. Thats where he took it. Let us know how you do on Wednesday!

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey Tony....

I was telling Vic yesterday in Chat that I fished channels in Cadillac for 6 hours without a single bite this past weekend. It is my guess that in the colder water the cats may be seeking deeper holes and beginning to stack up.

Try that deep stuff but still seek out good upstream forage- The place we were on the 10th seems to fit the bill with a good running hole and plenty of trees.

And by the way... did you see who the new member "whiskerwhacker" is? Steve from the trip on the 10th! lol- He joined up on the BOC.

Well.... Good luck with the flatties on Wednesday. Im trying to talk Vic into an after-work trip on Wednesday too, over on Lake Ovid for flatheads and or channels. Yesterday a local guy gave up his flathead hotspots on Ovid- Now I have to go try em out.

Tear it up, brother... AND TAKE NO BANANAS :roll_eyes: :lol:

LOL

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    It's sure to be a Gore-Tex evening, be prepared!