Grand River in Michigan

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by hear_kitty, Jun 8, 2006.

1. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    OK sparky and jon i opened this so we can work this out what day or days night or nights jon do you have access to any blue gills? any thoughts on where to start? ok give me some feedback

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    as i said in my PM i think the best bet for launching is west river dr. i will try to get some gills sat morning, hope they are biteing......i went to globexplorer.com last night and put in belmont MI for the address. the areail phots that come up show the river around the west river dr boat launch, and allow a very tight closeup......you can pan upstream and down to check out the river contours......there are several good looking spots within about a 20 minute run from the launch......give me a call if you need more specific directions......

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    OK, you guys are plotting a fishing trip in my back yard you know...
    Mind if I tag along? What time is launch time?
    Tony

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Would love to have ya tag along but boat only fits 3 maybe we can get togehter and fish on another trip? do you have a boat if so by al means come on down we will tag team them

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Yes, I have my own boat, and I also know where to get bluegills nearby.
    I launch at that ramp all the time, and there's good fishing near there, too.
    It's also a great place to shear pins and mangle props if you don't know the channel.
    What time?

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    11:00 Friday, 6/9
    Hey,
    Since my office is right on the Grand River, I just went to have a look at the water level & clarity. I grabbed a cup of coffee at the Shell station at Ann & Monroe, and there's a bunch of giant mayflies clinging to the outside walls of the place.
    I hope that doesn't mean every fish in the area has a belly full of mayflies!

Anyway, the river is neither high nor low, and the clarity looks pretty good.

I also had a thought, I have a 12' seine we could use to try to collect some extra bait. I'll bet we could gather some sucker minnows to go with the bluegills & whatever else is available.

My preference would be to fish from 5pm or so to roughly midnight. How does that sound?

7. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    have a great trip fellas, those flatties should be biting.
    wish i had a boat so i could tag along.

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    J Ross- check for a PM.

9. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Me and sparky should be at the boat launch by 3 and fish till? any extra bait would be great its nice to have someone you and jon that now the river this is my first time down there and hopefuly my and sparky's first flathead! we are talking about the launch on west river rd right? This should be a good trip hope we knock them out of the water

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Ooohh Boy,
    First flats for the two of you? Now the pressures on me, as the unofficial "guide".
    I'm going to PM the bluegill source to you & Jon.
    I'll have a tough time getting there that early, but anything is possible.
    Check your PMs guys.

11. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Just getting there a little early to check the river out with the fish cam!

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Glad to hear you have electronics, my depth finder and my deep-cycle charger both puked in the same week, and I can't get either replaced by tomorrow.):

13. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    bwanatony has been kind enough to invite me along as well.
    i can't wait to meet the BOC michigan guys. and maybe this time sparky, we can catch some fish.
    see you guys tomorrow:big_smile: :big_smile:
    -jim

14. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Trying to add a photo, let's see if it works...

OK, it works, but I need a better photo, preferably with a fish.
    Hope one of y'all is a photographer...

15. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Steve, I mean Jim,
    I'm glad to hear that tony asked you along. It will be good to see you again and also meet Tony, not to mention meeting Jon. Heck this Saturday get together could turn out to be a real Hoot!
    Now, what we need is someone to teach Don and I how to catch a Flathead!LMAO.
    Keep your eyes posted on this thread for a time table from Don.
    Sparky

16. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    OK,
    This could be quite the expedition.
    The key, my friends, is good bait. Without a sufficient supply of quality live baitfish, we will be unhooking 13" channels all night. If we have any trouble getting bluegills, we may have to buy suckers/shiners from Brenner's Bait a mile or two west of the ramp. Bring $$, big ones ain't cheap, but without live fish for bait- the trips a bust.
    (BTW, I have secured spousal consent, so I'm in for sure.)
    Bring some crawlers, too, so we can fish for suckers while we're catfishing.
    If someone can bring a pair of waders, we can seine near the ramp for bait.
    The hunt is on!
    Tony

17. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Ok this is the plan me and sparky will leave here 11:30 12:00 and should be to the dock by 3:00 any way so me and sparky can check out the river and may hook some bait. you all have my cell number we will meet at the dock! as you show up!

18. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Anybody who beats me to the ramp could fish for bait if they feel like it.
    Try tossing a small piece of crawler into the slack water around the island just downstream from the ramp, at the mouth of the Rogue River. You may get a rock bass, bullhead, sucker, or bluegill.

19. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Man, you guys sound like you're all set to catch some flatheads! This is shaping up to be quite the trip, and I'm anxious to see what you guys pull out of the river, ESPECIALLY the virgin flathead fishermen. ROTFLMAO!!! Please take plenty of pictures, especially some good mug shots of our newer members so we can see what they look like(preferably with a flathead)!

Hey, if you guys need help with posting any pics let me know...

My fingers are crossed, and I hope you guys get into them. Have a great weekend!:big_smile_2:

20. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    tony, glad to have you coming along. takes the pressure off me. i will be getting to the launch about 7:00. if im lucky i may get there by 6:30.....im going to richmond park in the morning to get some gills. a friend of mine lives near there, and told me they are on the beds in the pond......i convertes a 30 qt. cooler into an airated livewell so they should keep well enough.....see you tomorrow......

vic, i cant believe you will only be cheering us on from afar. the flaties her are so big we need your cue sticks, er fishing rods, to land theml LOL

im not much of a photographer, but i will be taking pictures.......get the steak dinner ready sal.....the record could fall this weekend.....