Grand River Flatheads

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Feb 7, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I fish the Grand alot from March through September. Absolutely love fishing for Cats.I've been catching alot of channels in the 10-15lb range with a few pushing 20lbs. I catch alot more channels than flatheads but at certain times of the year I seem to catch mainly flatheads. Have not found a flathead over 25lbs yet. I've found a few in the 20-25lb range but the really big ones have been sneaking under my boat. Anyone else having luck on the Grand for big Flats or Channels?

Dan

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    I wouldn't say i've been having luck with the big flatties, but i have learned where a few of them live. there are several great spots for them in and around grand rapids, and on west to grand haven. i fish mostly between downtown and Ada. The mouth of the thornapple is one of my favorite spots. You might want to check with Sal to get the best scoop on flatties in the area.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I've always wanted to fish the water up by Ada. It looks pretty good. I fish between Johnson park and Spring Lake mostly. I'll be on the water as soon as it gets back in the 40's. Can't wait!!:)

4. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i would love to learn some spots on the grand. who wants to teach me, then we can trade trips and go to the k-zoo river. i live south of holland, but don't mind drivning a short ways for flatties.
    cabin fever has set in.

-jim

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I might consider that. What kind of fish(size) are you running into on the K-Zoo? I've heard good things from down there on Cats.

6. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    i just started fishing it last year. my biggest was 15lb10oz.
    i only bank fish, due to the whole lack of boat situation.
    working on that though. i never caught one smaller than 6lbs.caught plenty too.local bait shop has pics of a 36lber caught in 2004.

plenty of channels to. river has great flattie potential, seems to be a good amount where i fish.
    -jim

7. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    i have the same lack of boat problem. doesnt keep me from walking the bank tho. as long as i able, i'll be chasein' em. please lord, let the water temps rise.

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    hey guys... Im here. Just watching the thread.

Ill fish the grand any time and I do have adecent boat. I have hit the grand by grand haven many times and I have had a lot of fun and decent success.

I also recommend the K-zoo over by jim. jross, sparky and I hit it one night and we had a blast. didnt do well for bites that night, but the river is a gem.

Let me know by email, threadpost or PM, and Ill try to set up a trip and take ya in the summer out on the boat. If Im going, I always like company.

sal

9. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Same goes for me guys. I've fished alone too many times. It can get rough trying to lift 2 30lb river anchors all day. Not to mention hauling all those cats over the side of the boat myself. :) Just give me a shout.

Dan

10. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay guys i have 16 'monarch how big and beep is this the grand is a 16' to big. Have room for two and my self.

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    A 16' is about perfect for the grand. this river is quite wide and deep. i know of holes that will go 30' plus. on the long flats betwees riffles it averages, in a year with normal rainfall, between 5 and 6 fet deep. However, i cant speak for the river down stream of downtown Grand Rapids, or up stream of the Thornapple river.

ps

check the meyers lake link for info.