Grand River Access Ramps

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, Jun 27, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi All,
    Are there any public ramps between downtown GR and Johnson Park?
    There used to be one off Butterworth, but it was closed years ago.
    How easy is it to navigate (without a jet) between Johnson Park and, say, Wealthy Street?
    Is Johnson Park open all night?
    I used to bank fish out that way, but never launched the boat there.
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    one of my neighbors has a deep-V lund with a prop motor in the 90 HP range. he tells me he can run from johnson park all the way to the charlies crab hole with no problem. he just runs with his electronics on to check depth. he also confirmed that there are no launches between 6th st. and jonhson park.

BTW.

when you say johnson park do you mean the launch at vetrans memorial dr?

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Thanks Jon,
    I wasn't sure exactly where the ramp out there is. Good to know the river is reasonably safe there. Do you know for sure if that ramp gets locked up at night or not?
    Tony

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, I've been launching there and fishing all night no problem. No gates getting locked or anything. The water is pretty deep in that stretch. You wont have any troubles. Just keep your eyes peeled for logs sticking up as there are alot of those. Be careful if you go up past the train tressle bridge the current is very swift there and you want to go through the middle abutments.

Dan

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Thanks! Good info.
    Always wanted to try out there and I might get my chance next week (I may be able to fish 3-4 nights next week!)
    Good Fishing!
    Tony

6. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    hey tony-

if you want some company while you test out that new water, i think i might be able to find somebody to go with you.........LOL

7. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay Jon haven't been ignoring just been spending to much time in world discussion check it out!

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    You'd be welcome, Jon, but I have to warn you- this kind of work requires short notice action, tedious map & fish finder watching, and long term commitment, and may result in zero fish...
    Not for the faint of heart... think you're up to it?

9. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    did you say zero fish??????man this year that's right up my alley. LOL

seriously, if i get a hook wet, its a sucessful trip. Yea im up to it. question is, are you up to tempting "the curse"?

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    The Curse, I think, is mine.
    Usually, the person I take fishing catches all the fish! So now we have a challenge... can't resist that! I'll let you know.
    Tony

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    THATS IT!!! I WANT TO GO FISHING ON YOUR BOAT NOW! :lol: :roll_eyes:

12. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    your guests usually catch all the fish? i seem to remember the night you took steve/jim out you caught two and he only caught one. and you saved the biggest for yourself......LOL

of course i didnt hear steve/jim complaining, and neither would i. like i said; "as long as i can get a hook wet it is a successful trip". the curse is still on me tho, not you.

You know; they make that little blue pill for guys that suffer the "other" curse, i wonder if they make a pill for the lack o' flattie curse? or due you just take the same little bule pill for that too? HMMMMMMM Any medical opinions out there?

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Whooaahh,
    I'm not going to get into any of that stuff, especially once we throw Flathead "Virgins" into the mix. Makes me shudder...
    All I can say is, that trip with Jim was the exception to the rule. That's why you guys are now my good luck charm.
    Say, I think Don's truck was down at the ramp at 8:30 tonight, I hope he & Mrs. Kitty have a good outing! Maybe somebody will lose their -
    never mind. Hope they catch fish.