Grand River, 5/28

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, May 29, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I broke one of my own rules today and went fishing without proper bait, on the Grand between Grand Rapids & Ada.
    I bought a few sucker and shiner minnows, and figured I would be able to catch some suckers or rock bass or something. I caught just one sucker, about 5 pounds; so I had to fish with crawlers, little suckers/shiners, & cut bait.
    Naturally, since I had only a few suckers, they were the hot bait. I got an 8# and a 10# flat before I ran out. One major hit on the cut bait, but it could have been a turtle or a gar or something. Other than that, the 12-15" channels were hitting the crawlers like crazy, which was a lot of fun on my ultralight bait-catching rig.
    My darn battery wouldn't hold its charge, so I don't know what the water temp was, and all I know about the depth is that it was over 6' (length of an oar). No fun rope starting a 40 hp outboard, either.
    I quit at 10:30, when the mosquitoes started to get bad.
    Did anyone else have any luck this weekend?
    Tight lines,
    Tony

2. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tony, a 5, an 8, and a 10 sounds like a great fishing day. The other stuff is bad window dressing. Hope you had fun.

3. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Tony,
    Had an outstanding trip on the Grand Sunday evening. A buddy and I fished from 8:00pm until 1:30am. We landed 15 out of 16 fish, with one 13lb Flathead. All the rest were Channels from 2-12 lbs. I only ran one rod with a big live bait. The Flathead came on a fresh piece of cut Sucker. 3rd Flathead I've caught this Spring on cutbait. 14 of the fish were caught between 9:00pm and 10:30 pm. Only had one hit between 11:00 and 1:30am. The Flathead came from a 14ft hole at 10:45 pm. I had never caught a Flat from that hole before.Bugs were HORRENDOUS!

Dan

4. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hi Dan,
    Glad you did better than I did.
    It has always been my experience, too, that the bite slows down around mid-night. Tends to pick up again at first light, which is why I like to bring a pillow and some mosquito netting, so I can snooze from 1AM to 5AM.
    Consumer reports tested bug spray recently, and the top performer was Off Sportsman Formula (40% DEET I think), just don't get any on your bait!
    Hope to see you on the river some time!
    Tony

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That's a 10-4 Tony. Love waking up on the river at first light. That fog snaking across the surface of the water at first light is an awesome sight. Not as awesome as a hit from a hungry Flathead though! Caught my biggest Flathead 3 years ago at 5:25 am.

Dan

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    How big was it?
    My personal best was 32#, within sight of the lights of downtown GR....

7. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    hey Guys, My Name Is Rick. I Live In Lapeer, Mi. There Aren't Many Big Rivers To Fish In Close By My Parts. It's Cool To Hear Somebody Talking About The Grand River Since I Was Born In Lansing, Mi And Remember My Father Teaching Me To River Fish Out Of The Grand River. It's Been 15 Plus Years Since I Have Even Been To The Grand River But Still Remember The Fun I Have Had Fishing It. Have Any Of You Guys Heard Of Or Have Tried The Halloway Resevoir?

8. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    i was wondering if any of you grand fisherman have fish by the 6th street dam/bridge?? i was talking to my dad yesterday and he was saying that he had seen some guys fishing there on tv, maybe an in-fisherman program, a couple years back and they were pulling out flatheads like crazy.

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    I had always wondered about that, too. I can practically see the dam from my office. I often read of catfishing the tailraces early in the year, and I thought I'd give it a try.
    Once there, however, I decided that my idea of a good time catfishing is NOT stumbling over unseen slippery boulders in rushing water up to my elbows.

Now, I don't care how many cats collect there, I'll be anchored upstream from a good hole with a downed tree in it, sipping a cold one & waiting for a flat to inhale one of my bluegills. Fewer fish, more fun- safer, too.