Grand River - 1st fish of the day

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, May 2, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    What a way to start out the day. A 13lb flathead decided to join us for coffee this morning at 6:14am. He took a piece of cut chub. An hour later a 16lb channel cat tried it's hardest to pull my client arms out of socket. It was an awesome looking fish. The lower Grand is up a good foot or more from last night. New fish are moving in with the high water and seemed to be in an aggresive mood. Did'nt get the 1st channel this morning until the Sun got almost over the tree tops , then it was on. Fish were located on the inshore side of the logjams, the exact opposite as last nights trip. The flathead was on the outside edge. It would be great if the water would start going down now. Seeing more and more Gar surfacing every day. Oh yea and I almost forgot, we caught another Northern today!!! Go figure!!

couple pics of flathead and 16lb channel

Dan

Attached Files:

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Real nice channel there Dan that my friend gives me fishing fever!!

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I've been watching the water level in the Grand go up and up since April 25. Hopefully the 5 day dry spell we are supposed to be starting right now will help the level drop down some.
    Great fish, Dan, looks like you get the rep points for first flat of the year.
    Tony

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Holy Smokes Dan, that is one big channel cat! And of course any size Flathead is big , cause I have never caught one. Thanks for sharing the info and the pictures.
    Sparky

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    That channel was a really cool fish. Could have been 20 years old from what I've read about Great Lakes channel cats. Theres got to be a 30 lb fish somewhere in the Great Lakes systems, maybe a bigger one. Whats the biggest channel you guys have seen or heard of on the East side?

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Well, the so called State record came out of Houghton Lake at 40lbs or so the story goes. When you talk to some of the old timers up there, they'll lead you to believe that there were bigger ones than that caught out of Houghton Lake, just never recorded. I think they are fish stories myself.
    But, before I made this post, I looked again at that 16lb cat you posted a picture of. Man, thats a hugh fish! Not to mention very clean looking.
    Sparky

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's for the report and pictures Dan,That's a SUPER nice Channel!! J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I only see a handfull of channels like that every Spring then again in the late Summer. Super clean looking and just plain BIG. Man I love those fish. The guy I had fishing yesterday does alot of steelhead fishing. And he was to say the least, very impressed with channels cats.

Dan

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Anyway you want to look at it, A fish that big is a thing of rare Beauty and should be admired for a lifetime.
    Sparky

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Can you imagine what a 40 pounder looks like?
    I may have to start taking channel cats more seriously!

11. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Dan thanks for sharing the pics. Going down to Harrington Resv. in KY a week from sunday and now ya really got the blood goin:big_smile: John

12. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    No, I can't! As a matter of fact, that 20 pounder you caught last year, was the biggest cat I ever saw live and in person. I can't imagine living down South, where 30 - 40 pounders are a common sight.
    I guess it is kind of like shooting a turkey with 1 1/2" spurs a 12" beard, ane a 30" fan to boot.
    Sparky

13. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Let's face it guy's there out there no dought! Have i seen one yes in mi no pales river in tenn! Are they here YES NO DOUGHT!!!!!!!!!! but living here and knowing what we know don't mean we know it all! The hole catfish thing has just started the last couple years. I have no dought that that there has been a state record caught here! channel and flathead because most people don't know the different so this site can keep us all informed

14. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    -------------------------MAYBE

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:

I'm with you, Don. I believe there are lots of record class fish out there.
    And yes, we can share experience & knowledge to up our odds of catching some of 'em. BUT, there's no substitute for time on the water with bait over the side. So I'm going to do my part by spending as much time as possible doing just that.
    It's a thankless job, but somebody's got to do it. ;>D

16. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I bet a few flatheads have been caught that pushed the state record. I really doubt that any channel cats anywhere near 40lbs have been caught. There could be a few out there, but I would'nt bet on the channel cat record being broken any time soon. If it does the fish will probably come out of a Great lakes tributary. Muskegon Lake has the potential for a record class fish as well as Spring Lake.Too many folks out there keeping big channels. I've released 2 channels in the past 10 years that weighed 21 and 22 lbs. Wonder what they weigh now? I know some 20+ lb channels where weighed in during Cabelas King Kat tourney on Saginaw bay. Those are some pretty big fish, and they were the biggest ones professional anglers could come up with during peak fishing season.

17. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    One theory I've read that seems to make sense is that the really, really big ones don't feed very often.
    A big meal here and there, and then they go back to the choicest lair and push out whoever moved in while they were out feeding.

You just never know when the big one is going to eat your bait.
    That's why I never get tired of sitting there in the dark, waiting for that magic noise, "tick, tick, tick-tick-tick..."
    Just knowing that any minute- any minute at all could be the one, is enough to keep me interested.

You just gotta be in the right place at the right time.

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Ahhh....you have to love the spring and talk of monster catfish. LOL. Dan, that is a nice channel cat my friend. I look forward to getting on somebody's river, and getting a tug on my line. Keep us posted on the catches...

Vic

P.S. I have taken the total chill pill from the talk of catching record fish. LOL. Way I figure it now, seeking record catfish is like chasing the woman of your dreams. It's all a big fantasy until they start tugging at the end of your line.:roll_eyes: :eek:oooh: :cool2: :wink: :big_smile: If that happens, you need quite a few things to go right to enjoy any manner of success. Time is probably best spent just fishing...:smile2:

19. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I love that analogy Vic! Could'nt be more right on the money.