Grand Lake

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by rudepossum, Sep 24, 2006.

1. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering how many we have here that fish Grand Lake in Okla. and surronding area's.And have you had any luck ? Where are you finding the fish with the lake so low? Thanks and good luck. Shue

2. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hello david,and welcome to the BOC,Me and my wife usually fish the bernice bridge area,or elk river east of the 10 bridge by the smoke shop..
    I dont have a boat so it is tought going sometimes for me.
    Bernice bridge area is where I caught the blue in my avatar the last week of july,and my wife caught a small flathead and a nice blue recently at honey creek bridge.
    Thge fishing for me has been a bit slow from the bank and the website you may want to check out if you havent already is here: http://grandfishingreport.com/ It has dock reports,fishing reports,and other misc info..very good reading.
    I use circle hooks with cut bait usually,and have pretty good luck whenever I go.minimum of 1 at least 3-5 pounds,and sometimes 10 or so running the same size.
    I will be going probably in the morning here by the house on the elk river,it is within walking distance and see whats going on after the rain we got fri.night sat. morning....
    Do you have any areas which you fish here on grand?I am always looking for ather areas to check out.
    They say the BIG blues will be biting in NOV.If you go to the above site,it has an actual calendar and tells you when each species is biting and which month..very good...
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

3. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy Kevin: Thanks for the reply. Igrew up doing a lot of bank fishing just down from you at the mud flats. They got to where the blocked the road as privite, so i have not been there in years till earlier this year. I do a lot of drift fishing over by sail boat. Whent over by # 10 this year in the boat to do some fishing but the water was getting so low and not knowing the shallow spots and under water danger i didnt stay long or go up your way. I would like to know how the river channel runs from there down past #10 and find the deeper holes for the big boys when the water temp starts getting down toward the low 50s and 40s. I seen a post for a BOC get together a twin this spring for spoonbill. Any way keep in touch and we'll see if we can hook into some of them rod bending bad boys. Good luck and God Bless. Shue

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC David!!!!

I'm not familiar with Grand, but I'm know we have several brothers who fish it. Just hang around for a while and they will show up!

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC David.

I'm like Kevin, I bank fish the Bernice area also.

The fishing has been pretty slow the last month or so with the high temps and low water level. The last couple weeks, we only catch babies, we catch quite a few, but they are only 6 - 10 in long. We've caught a couple worth keeping, but just barely.

I'm hoping with the temps dropping and the rain we've had the last week or so will help the fishing?

I'm off Monday and Tuesday this week, so I'm going be out there and see if I can find any? The last couple trips, I've had a couple real good bites on cut and live perch, but no takers. I don't know if they were turtles or cats, but they only hit once and leave it alone.

I'll let you know how the fishing goes the next couple of days?

Ken

6. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Welcome to the BOC David. I do alot of fishing around the sailboat bridge area. I also like to hit the areas that have been mentioned before also. In the spring you may also want to try the spring and neosho rivers around Miami and if you have a boat you may also want to try the twin bridges area.

And if any of us get really lucky and we get enought water in the lake for them to generate def. try below pensacola dam. Best of luck to you my brother.

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Ken,Wondered where you had been hiding:lol: ..I am going down to the river this morning in about an hour to see whats going on.probably stay until about 4 pm or so..that will give me about 8 hours,last week I went and only caught 2,but they were keepers.And a few turtles.
    David,I think I know the area you are speaking about,I live in shadowrock addition and it is just north of the "island" where the flats are.
    There is a turn in the road just before getting to shadowrock,and there is a sign posted which says private road and then has a BIG dip ,that road is not private,it goes down to a GRDA site,which is public access.
    If that is where you are speaking about,and yes,the water being low has made that area a bit of a gauntlet to run A boat through:0a22: ...
    I got some new bass lures to try down at the river yesterday,and am going to try and see if I have any luck with them while waiting for the bite.I use circle hooks so I dont worry too much about needing to set the hook.Just a little rough when I have to walk quickly to my pole with a broke toe..:go: .
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

8. slickrick

slickrick New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I fish Grand Lake 2 times a year early Spring and late Fall. Do you have a boat if so go around Governor's Island fish between the island and shorline across from the island. Fish off the bottom reel in aproximately 2' of line, watch your line! If you don't have a boat Sail Boat Landing or anywhere there is structure, i.e. fallen trees, brush piles etc.:cool2:

9. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Hey Kevin, I'm still around.

I hope you do better then I did today?
    I started out at the boat ramps there at Bernice park and only got hung up.
    I decided to try the bridge and one of the guys working there told me they were going to be sandblasting in that area and blowing a bunch of stuff on the deck. I decided to try it anyway and got a few bites, but only caught one little perch. After I got tired of all the junk hitting me, I tried a few other places before heading to the house but didn't catch anything.

I think I'm going to try again tomorrow, but I think I'll try Oolagah and see if I can find any cats that way?

Let me know how you did today?

Ken

10. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well Ken,I got back at 2pm this afternoon.It was dead,I caught 2 6in. sandies jigging,and one even smaller largemouth..heh
    Caught 1 turtle,and as I was leaving I got a bite on OL' yeller..LOL,and pulled in a 2pound blue.That was it for the day...this is the second time I have been down there around 9am in the morning,and I dont think I will try it again anytime soon.
    Next time I will probably go around noon.The wind was OK,and was blowing the topwater up-river.
    The shad were easy to find with the cast-net,,all sizes.as it was last week.This may sound odd but with as much rain as we got this last week,the lake actually seems lower..LOL
    The one good thing I got to see were lots of pelicans in the area,about 150 of them...So it was OK,I guess..
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

11. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Good to hear from you all. sounds like we have plenty of ol' boys around here to track down them big boys. Man the BOC is a wealth of cool info. Anyway, sure is cool to meet al of ya'll . Thanks guys. Happy huntin

12. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

Kevin, you did a lot better then I did.
    All I caught yesterday was one little perch.:sad2:

I headed out again this mourning around 4 am.
    Reached my first hole around 5 am, the boat ramp at Winganon, the water had dropped a bunch since the last time I was there so I only stayed there about 30 minutes. It was kind of weird, there wasn't any noise at all, no fish splashing, none of the sounds you hear at night, nothing.
    I was sitting a couple feet from the water and all of a sudden, this fish jumped out of the water right in front of me about three feet away and scared me to death.:crazy:

I decided that was enough of that spot so I headed to the dam below Oolagah Lake.
    It's been twenty some years since I've been there and they've made a lot of changes. On one side, you used to be able to drive down close by the river and fish, but now all they have is a boat ramp and the weeds are so high, you can hardly see it. The water there was the lowest I'd ever seen it, so I left.

It was getting daylight by now so I decide to head back to Winganon and give it another try? On the way, I found this nice little spot called Vada Point, so I give it a try. All I caught there was two small bass.
    After I left there I went to the ramp at Winganon and tried it again, and it was still dead.

I head to Nowata and decide to try the Verdigris River. There were remains of 7 nice size cats and I thought this was the place. Wrong, just a couple little pecks. Couldn't even get the turtles to bite.
    I stayed there a couple hours before heading home.

I got home around 2:30 and decided to head to Bernice around 4.
    I hit the boat ramp first to see if anything was going on there and the perch were biting like crazy, so I decided to catch a few for bait. They would hit as soon as the hook hit the water.
    I even caught me one chad on worms, which I thought was strange?
    I headed for the bridge about 7 and the construction crew was leaving.

I thought with the fish biting like they were at the park, the cats might be doing something and that chad might help?
    I ended up catching 8 - 10 small cats. If I could have put them all together, I might have had one big enough to keep?:big_smile:
    I was using night crawlers, cut chad, cured liver, cut perch and the only thing I caught anything on was the cured liver. I didn't even get a nibble on the chad?

I packed up and headed home around 10 pm with no fish again.:sad2:

Ken

13. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey David welcome, I just joined about a year ago, but have gotten some great information off the site. I was at Grant Tuesday of this week, got to go out at 9AM. We drifted around Govenors Island and back toward Red Arrow around blackberry. What we were fishing was water from 36 feet down to 25. The weather was perfect, with just enough wind that we did not even need a drift sock. We moved several times not catching a fish till 11:00. From 11-2, we caught 15, and kept 7 from 2-5 pounds. I think if you have a boat, you can just about drift any place on the lake from sail boat bridge all the way back to the dam, and catch fish. I do a lot of jug fishing, and we usually get a limit of blue cats on most trips. The colder it gets, the deeper we fish. Our deepest fishing is 90 foot. Hope this helps.:smile2:

14. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Howdy jugginman. Nice to hear from you. Thanks for the info. I am going this weekend and plan on puting in around Bernice. If i put in there or Bears Den with the weather and lake cond. this weekend, What do you think are some good area's to try over that way? I have just never had the chance to fish that end of the lake or graph that area. Anyway it's good to see and hear from local catfish cowboys. Good luck and happy huntin. Shue; aka (rudeopossum)

15. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

Hey David.
    If you decide to put in there at Bernice, at the park, don't use the ramp next to the highway, use the other one. The water level is so low at the first ramp, I don't think you would ever get your boat off the trailer.

Other boaters have been using the other ramp and don't seem to be having any problems?

Ken

16. rudepossum

State:
    Missouri
    Hey: thanks man. Hope ya'll are doing good. My dad is camping over there this week so i hope by the time i get there he has all ready ran into some of you guys and picked you brains clean and has the game plan in place. Anyway thanks agian and hope to meet some of ya'll some time. Have a good one and God bless to you and yours.

17. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey David, I do not know if you are going to Jug fish or just be drifting. The area I am talking about is directly out in front of horse creek The wind is supposed to be light tomorrow, have not heard about the wind on Sunday, but I will be up there Sunday, Have a new boat and have got to try it out. Back to fishing - Most of horse creek does not have the depth I look for when jugging. I like to have the 60-90 foot of water, pretty close, and have my jugs set 30-40 foot deep. Drifting does not get an awful lot beter than out of horse creek and to the left toweard sail boat bridge. You should find good depth almost aanywhere particularly around most of the islands. Maybe I will see you up there Sunday. Good luck, keep what you want and take pictures of the B I G O N E S...:big_smile:

18. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think tommorrow early afternoon,I shall try here by the house.If I get a wild hair,I may go all the way to bernice.
    Hope everyone is doing good,and catching at least some.
    You know what some of us need to do is go rent a boat for a day or so,and get out on the water and show them boaters us bank fishermen know how to catch fish anywhere...LOL..:0a22: :0a23:
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

19. Love Them Cats

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I've been thinking the same thing?
    I've thought about checking into renting a pontoon for the weekend and seeing how much it would cost?

A lady I work with, her and her husband live there in Bernice and they have a small pontoon and she was telling me that here husband would like to find someone to go fishing with?
    The only thing, he fishes for Bass and Crappie.

I guess I could go with him and have him catch my bait?:big_smile:

Ken

20. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Hi David, Welcome To The Boc, Im A Newby Also, What A Great
    Neighbor Hood To Be Hooked Up With.
    We Always Fish Below The Dam When The Water Is Running
    And Thats Not Much This Year. If You Tie Your Boat To The
    Cable And Cast Into The Dam, Man What Fun. Anywhere From
    2 Lbs To 22 Lbs.
    Good Fishin, In One Of Ok.s, Prime Lakes.