Grand Lake Spoonbill fishing report

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jugginman, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have never fished for spoonbill before today. I went to grand with my son, and 2 other boys. We used a guide, fishing in water from 30-60 foot deep, we put 15 spoonbills in the boat that went right at 30 lbs each. We had 4 other that came off right at the boat, we saw, and 3 others that we had hooked up for 10-15 seconds before loosing them. I think this is something that I may do once or twice a year. I will get pictures put on a disc, and post them this week if anyone is interested in seeing them. One of the boys wanted to eat some spoonbill, so we kept the last fish we caught before coming in at 3, started fishing at 9. :tire:

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Where at on Grand were you fishing?

Ken

3. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Ken i went to grandfishingreport web site and it says that the spoonbill are stacked up in the deep water right now.read report of up to 70 feet deep hope this helps you out.

4. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I want to try this! Can you give us some more info?
    Thanks,
    Mark

5. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The spoonbill are stacked up deep,as okiecop says.The GRDA has shut off the dam and is now allowing the water to rise for the spoonbill,as their are some places where they cannot get over if it stays as shallow as it was,well,shallow being 741 feet...lol

I have not ever snagged spoonbill myself,and from what I hear there are a few places where one can snag them quite well from the shore..I think it was told to me it can be done up in some park in miami,and from what I hear,twin bridges as well.

On another note,me and the wife went fishing last weekend for one day at twin bridges and caught some channel.the biggest being about 2 pounds.

When the water starts rising to a decent level,then the fish should start biting pretty good.We are wanting to go to bernice,but as of today,it is a bit chilly for us.and it is supposed to be windy.MAybe tommorrow?!?!?

Peace and PLenty,
    Kevin

And I have heard jugginman,that spoonbill makes great catfish bait.It is supposedly very oily.

6. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey guys, we caught our fish just on the lake side of Sail boat bridge. We were never more than 3 miles from the bridge. We caught fish anywhere from 30-60 feet. Mark has our pictures up on his web site, if any one would like to seehttp://grandfishingreport.com/pgs/guides/markspage.htm
    Personally, I have had enough of that kind of fishing, it is too hard of work for a fat old man.........Good fishing to all

7. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bobby,how much did it cost ya for a day out?
    Glad you had fun..
    Peace and Plenty,
    Kevin

8. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    This looks like fun. Is snagging them the only way to catch them or do they take bait?

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They can only be snagged u dont need bait just a trebble hook with weight on it.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bobby glad you had a good day with the spoonbill. I would bet you were tired that night.:beated: That snagging is for the young and slim crowd. It would kill me if I were to tackle that at my age.:surrender:

11. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    Ahh man as soon as I heard spoonbill. I instantly got the fever. Cant wait till they start hitting the river as for I dont have a boat.But there is a place near cheauto.(showtow) forget how to spell it exactly. I think its cheauteu. But any ways its cheateu bend down at the low water I caught alot of 40 and 50 pounders there last season but it wasnt till like march or april. I wish I had a boat cause I would have caught alot more. through the whole season I kept about 6 fish. But I u do catch them remember to save the eggs from the fish. The eggs are exelent fish bait. So if anyone has a boat and wants some one to go with them just let me know I have all my own gear.

12. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey kevin, this is for the strag at heart and the strong back. It cost me $300 for 2, 75 for each additional, but it was worth every penny. If you read it, we had 10 fish in the boat in 1 and 1/2 hours. I was sore and tired for the next 2 days. This fishing is just let slcak in you line and hook it up to a car doing 30 miles an hour, when it hit the end of the slacik, you just hooked a spoonbill, han on.

13. Pittscat90

Pittscat90 New Member

State:
    Pittsburg
    I'm planning to go spoonbilling in a couple of weeks and i was wondering, how good the fishing is right now.

14. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I do my spoonbill snagging below Kaw dam east of Ponca City. I snag from the bank from both sides of the river. Better snagging from the west side. The man that taught me how to snag, caught his PB about 6 years ago, 96#
    It is a lot of work but well worth it.
    I hope there is enough water this year for some good snagging, below Kaw.

15. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have trolled the river channel just above sailboat bridge with 130# braided line, 16 0zs of lead and 2 10/0 trebles( I think). The fish could be seen on the graph. We caught spoonbills to 66 pounds, but mostly 20 pound males, the biggest ones were females loaded in eggs. The time was early March and water temp was 39 degs. The white bass should be staging by now in the river channel in deep holes waiting for spring temps too.

catman george

16. guywholikestofish

guywholikestofish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If your goin snaggin around the cheauteu bend, watch out for all of the steel shot that is in the water. I had a pretty good duck huntin season there, lots of birds, not to mention after the past snow and rain we got, it flooded the area pretty severely...its up 4.5 feet. So if you don't have a boat, make sure you take that into consideration, your probably going to get snagged on logs and other things that are swept up by the current. Not to mention, your going to be 12 ft away from where you regularly stand to cast to get into the channel....be safe out there

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC Chris, glad ya had a good duck hunting season!

18. bbadams

bbadams New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I WEN ONE TIME WITH FLINTMAN BELOW THE DAM AT KAW
    TWO MUCH WORH DIDN'T LIKE IT TO MUCH

19. catfisher74354

catfisher74354 New Member

State:
    miami,okla.
    I live on the Neosho River between Twin bridges and the I-44 turnpike bridge.When the ice melts and the river starts rising the spoonbill will head from Grand Lake up north thru twin bridges up the Neosho and Spring rivers,when this happens if you have a boat put in at Twin bridges state park go up Spring about 2 miles (it will probably look like rush hour traffic in Dallas only boats) lol!!. Or go up Neosho from Connor bridge(first bridge north of Twin bridges) to the dam at Riverview Park in Miami,Ok. Both of these are awesome runs for Spoony's. All i can say is troll at an idle, cast Yank & reel,Yank & Reel.
    Good Luck and Happy Fishing!!
    (Catfisher74354) - Terry Rogers

20. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    we went camping last year and one of my old buddies came along. i watched while he tied his weight and hook on and then he casted. i almost fell out of the boat cause i was laughing so hard! he said " what the he** are you laughing at?", i replied, "you forgot your bait!" he just smirked and started jerking and reeling. i thought to myself "this guy is a nut case". a few seconds later he said "i got one!" sure enough he reeled in a fish that i never knew existed. that was the coolest thing i had ever saw.