Grand Lake Saint Marys

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by IamTheCatSlayer, May 30, 2007.

1. where are the good spots at saint marys...my roommate and i are boatless at the moment, but i have my eye on a $500 pontoon. we have tried the sand bar and the different points but we don't ever find any luck. if someone wants to play guide some friday evening or sat morning that would be great

2. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    i'm originally from lima and st mary's was my main fishing spot....water is so filthy it's horrible this year, or at least was all spring before i moved. Best bet is hit up the outdoorsmen on the east side of hte lake and ask those guys. Next time i'm home we'll have to meet up and i'll show you a few of my spots....

right off tho.... harmons on the southeast side, park and walk the trail all the way back, there's a sandbar out there

behms on the southside, park there, go in, eat some of their turtle soup, then walk out on the point and fish to the north, northeast

anywhere really on the east bank

dibble road on the northside, JUST west of wright state lake campus, all the way at the end, anywhere off that point.

those are all places we've ALWAYS had luck for eatin size channels...

i'm told that on the southwest side there's some big ones caught, i know they're in there, just never caught em

supposedly where coldwater creek comes in on the sw side there, ppl will fish the bridge over the creek and let the bait drift into the mouth of the lake there

best thing i ever did was just talk to the bait shop guys. the old guys usually, some of the younger guys in there have no clue, not all tho

that and just drive around the lake and find spots

like i said we'll hook up sometime when i'm back in lima, i'll let you know

3. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    what are you using for bait? i don't even bother with grand lake anymore because it is polluted with that green crap and dink channels. i know every once in a while someone busts a big flat but i never have.

4. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    in the spring, cut shad, through out the summer, shrimp. this year has been absolutely horrible, but they're starting to put the filters on the feeder creeks, so give it a few good years and it should clean up. We caught prolly 250 channels last year between march and june, mostly like i said, were eating size.

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    yeah, bout 7 year ago i popped over 100 in one nite at windy point using bowker's dip bait..... went thru 2 tubs. i don't use dip bait anymore and i don't fish grand anymore neener. bet those 100 channels wadn't over 200# all together but i sure was bizzy!

6. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    o ya lol, i've had those days, when i first started catfishing i spent a whole day on east bank the same way

7. King Cat Assasin

King Cat Assasin New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well next week well Try the boat out Nick

8. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    from boat you can try that southwest corner better than from bank. put in (if you're not in already) at west bank park there and just goo south down the bank. you can anchor at the mouth of that creek or at the edge of the wildlife refuge. I've heard of people doing well at both.

how's the lake looking this summer so far? it was like chocolate milk earlier and usually with the heat the algae takes over. i'll be back in lima the weekend of the 22nd and might head to the lake. let me know how its looking. add me on AIM and hit me up

9. creekchub

creekchub New Member

State:
    OH
    i fish 2/3 tmes a month been getting lot of 2 to3 lb fish.i fish south bank in 2 feet of water.good luck

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My grandparents have owned property over there for quite a few years and we make a couple of trips there a year. We never fish from a boat, but we do pretty well. We fish a semi-private point on the northside next to the property, it's probably about 6ft deep about 30 feet out and there is some sort of brush out there that I get snagged on occasionally, so that's what keeps the fish there. That snag, plus the boat docks, plus the rocks there makes for a pretty good spot. You all are right about the eater sized channel cats, catch plenty of those which is enough to stock the freezer with. Also we get some really nice perch, crappie, and hog carp out of there. Early in the evening and early in the morning out there using small 3-4" live green sunfish and shad we've caught some nice sized channels in the 7-10lb range, but that's as big as we've gotten out of there. I did however have something bust 30lb test out there one time, might have been a turtle, but if it wasn't there are definately some big catfish in there...could have been one of the few giant stripers in there though too.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    grand lake st mary is the best catfishing up that way a guy i used to work lonny would go up there and kill the channel catfish there caught 15 on day looks like worth the trip rick