Grand Lake Fishing Report

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by grandfisher, Dec 29, 2008.

1. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Hello, my name is Andrew and I go catfishing at every opportunity. Unfortunately, as much as I'd like to, I can't be fishing all the time. If you miss a couple weeks or even a couple days on the water a lot can change as you all know. Where'd the shad go? Is the lake on the rise? So on and so forth. I would think it to be beneficial to all Grand Lakers here to have a thread specifically to post fishing reports. I know there's enough members that fish Grand Lake to make this a worthwhile venture.

I haven't been fishing in two weeks, but the entire month of November and first week of December I had considerable luck fishing 45-60 water south of Sailboat Bridge. The shad were hit and miss. They'd be thick in a particular deep cove one day and scarce the next day. I consistently caught shad suspended in about 25-35 feet of water over the channel. In early November, I caught a personal best. 33lb Flathead. Up until the second week of December, I was catching good numbers of 5 to 20+ pounders in the main channel. Of course, this information doesn't really do anybody any good right now. Things might have changed considerably in the last couple of weeks. I'm going fishing tomorrow(12-30-08) and I'll post the results as soon as possible. Well, good luck too all and enjoy the water!

2. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Well, I went fishing today. I was fishing south of Sailboat Bridge along the bluffs. Shad were suspended at 30' close to the main channel. I caught plenty for bait using a 16' net. They were easy to find all over the place but I couldn't find and large, dense schools. I caught 13 blues. Missed a nice flathead. The largest weighing about 5lbs. Missed several. Fishing water 40-45' deep on drop-offs. Water temp 40 degrees. I didn't catch the 10-20 lbers like I was a month ago. Off day? I'll probably start fishing up the rivers next week. Spring river most likely. Good luck on the water.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish Grand alot but haven't been since rifle season opened. Perhaps i should say i fish it allot in the spring and summer. Been wanting to go and just haven't.:confused2:

4. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Well spring is definitely my favorite time to fish Grand. From January to the beginning of March, I like to fish up Spring River, just above Twin Bridges. I usually catch some large White Bass while I'm catfishing. If the cats ain't hungry, the White Bass are fun in the river this time of year.

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    welcome to the BOC here Andrew

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My bad Andrew, i also want to say welcome to the BOC. I assume you must be located in the SW part of missouri if you fish Grand much? I'm in the woods east of Pineville area. Headed to tablerock friday bass fishin i think, the bites good over there now.

7. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the welcome guys. I hope 2009 is a good year for fishing for us all.
    Country Heart, I live east of Jane near Sims Store on 90 hwy. It's 37 miles and 45 minutes to the Elk River Arm from me. 60 miles and 1 hour to Sailboat. You fishing for Whites or Black Bass?

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    well hello neighbor. I live 2 miles east of sims store. Going to tablerock for blacks and spots and hopefully a big fat walleye for the skillet. Ya live this close, we definitly need to talk shop some time.

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    welcome to the BOC here Andrew

10. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
  11. dobbie

dobbie Member

Welcome to the BOC Andrew.I fish the Twin Bridges area in the sring and fall.

12. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Andrew.

13. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the welcomes guys. I just got back from fishing at Twin Bridges. I went yesterday (Wednesday,January 8, 2009) and today. Wednesday, we caught about 40 catfish on rod and reel. 90% were channels under 7lbs. Caught a few Mississippi Whites about 10lbs. Today was the same story. Lots of small channels and a few nice blues. Shad are extremely abundant and very east to net. I throw a 8ft radius net. Today I only made one throw and had a 4 gallon bucket 2/3 full of shad from 2.5 to 6 inches long. Most of the fish were caught in 10-6 feet of water. I was using live and cut shad. The Mississippi Whites seemed to prefer the live shad about 2-3 inches long. Water temp reached 42 degrees today. Tomorrow I'm going back, but this time I'll try to land a few White Bass.
    Also, Wednesday, I went fishing in the morning south of Sailboat Bridge and shad were scattered, and the fish seemed to not be in my usual spots. They have began making some sort of movements either upstream, or into a little shallower water. I think things will get a lot better up at Twin Bridges if we can get a little run off up there. Better for catfishing anyhow. White Bass fishermen probably won't like it. Well, good luck to all and happy fishing!

14. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sure appreciate the updates Andrew. Sounds like I need to get my batteries charged up. Keep us posted. Bow season will end the 15th then I can get back to fishin. One more tag to fill. Keep them reports coming. thx

15. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks David, I'm glad people are finding this thread useful. I went back to Twin Bridges yesterday (Friday, January 9, 2009). The channel cats are biting great and I pickup up a couple ten pound blues. The blues(Mississippi Whites) aren't very abundant up around Twin Bridges yet, or at least I can't catch em.
    I decided to try for some white bass and headed a couple miles up Spring River to my usual spot and very quickly caught a couple real nice white bass and several small channels on cut shad. There were several people huntin for white bass but didn't have much luck. They just aren't there yet like they should be. I only use shad for white bass and usually out catch the trollers and jiggers. Shad is the supreme bait for white bass this time of year. Works for me anyhow. I'm thinking a little run off from a 1 inch rain will really get the fish moving up the rivers. Things are fixing to get interesting.

16. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the boc andrew. I havent been on in a while been bowhuntin and doin a little crappie fishin. Thanks for the reports i fish alot of the same water you do hopefully we can meet up sometime!

17. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the welcome Jake. Maybe I'll see ya on the lake.

18. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Went fishing again at Twin Bridges Saturday. There were several people catfishing and I think everybody had about the same luck. Lots of nice but small channel cat. (7 pounds and smaller) I noticed every catfisherman there was throwing a 3-5 foot radius throw net. It looked like they was having a little trouble catching shad. I got an 8' radius net and I caught a 4 gallon bucket full of all sizes of shad in one throw. It pays to have a big net! The water temp was 32 degrees at the boat ramp and warmed up to 36. The Mississippi Whites must have moved back down the lake cause I could'nt catch em. They were slow for the last couple weeks anyhow. Still probably a little eary for them that far up the river? In November and most of December, I was catching real nice blues around Grove in deep water and at the very end of December and the first of January, the bite tapered off. I'm thinkin either I fished em out or they made a move from the usual spots I was catching them. But now I'm faced with the question, "Where are they now?". They don't appear to be down lake like they was, they're not up the rivers, so I have to believe that they are in between. I going to try next week about 4 miles or so about Sailboat Bridge where the 60 foot water turns to 40 or 30 foot river channel. Somewhere below the Elk River Arm. Any suggestions?

19. wildhunter066

wildhunter066 New Member

State:
    missouri
    We went out on sat for a few hours too. I have a small net and we got plenty of shad with those huge balls of shad how could anyone miss. WE caught a few channels but that was it/ We hhad a hard time finding any numbers of cats on the electronics. If i was makin a trip this weekend i think i would head south of shangri la somewere andrew and try around some really deep water for the blues. Good Luck jake

20. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    Jake, be sure and let us know if Shangri-La area produced any fish for ya.
    I went back to Twin Bridges today as the front was moving through and the fish have made a move. I wasn't graphing them anything like the last two weeks. Still caught plenty of shad and the water temp hasn't changed. Caught about 10 channels in 3 hours. That's real slow. Moved around a lot lookin for the action but it wasn't to be found. It seemed a lot of people were having the same luck because every boat there was doing a lot of "spot to spot" fishin. I did manage to accidentally snag a 25lb spoonbill up Spring River. Talked to some guys that said they fished around Sailboat Bridge yesterday and all they could catch was channels. Going to be some nasty weather for the next few days so maybe the blues will get hungrier by then. Or maybe I'll just get better at findin them. Good luck!