Grand Lake First Timer

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by KansasKatter, Aug 28, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey guys. Anyone who is familiar with Grand Lake, we are making a trip down there this weekend for 3 days. We are staying at the Candlewyck Cove Resort.

Anyone have any advice for fishing in that area? Would it be wise to bring my little turd pusher, or would it be a waste of time on such a big lake? I think it would be nice to have it to stay closer to shore, and in coves, but if not, I will leave it at home and fish from bank.

Any good places to catch cats around that area, would love to find flatheads, but also want to start chasing some blues too.:eek:oooh:

Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your turd pusher is that camo boat you were showing a few weeks ago, I'd definetley take it. If the wind is howling, you don't have to go out. If the wind is calm, and forecasted to stay that way, you can go just about anywhere on the lake. If your gonna jug fish, take the boat. I ams sure the venue where you will be staying can tell you where and how to fish.

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well it so happens to be labor day weekend and the wind would be the least of concerns on grand lake, i'm talking rough waves even through the late and early morning hours of the night, atleast you can gaurantee that down here on the south side of the lake, i think that cove your talking about is up north isn't it, not sure where that's located at, you could be in less boat traffic maybe

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Jeff, you need to get a hold of another Jeff-Jeff Williams, aka "Ultimate Catfishing" on the BOC. I'm pretty sure he might know what he's doing!:smile2:

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jeff,

The size of Grand Lake this weekend won't be your problem. Grand lake is the "rich folk" lake. Lots of very large cabin cruisers AND high speed cigarette boats. Those idiots will be out there drunk, running all over the place this coming weekend. Can your boat handle it? I don't know. There are people I know who go up there every weekend and state that they wouldn't go out on the lake in anything less than a 20 ft boat for fear of being beat to death by the waves. I honestly don't know if your boat could handle the main lake. HOWEVER, if you stick to fishing coves, you should be alright.

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks Tony, that is what I was afraid of. We used to go to Pine Island every year for a week, and remember the boats, and the waves they make.

I was hoping there would be some "secluded" spots like coves I could sneak back into late in the evenings, or early mornings. Or someplace on a creek or river I could get on, would be even better, any places like that?

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I'm sure there are, but, I have never been up on grand. As someone else said, Jeff Williams is who you need to contact. You might try PM'ing Ultimate Catfishing He knows that lake better than anyone I can think of on here.

You might consider night fishing because I know a lot of the high $$$$ boats won't be out after sunset and if they are, they won't be running WOT

8. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hey, jeff my first advice would be don't listen to people who don't know anything about the lake that your inquiring about, step 2 ask someone who fishes it everyday, step 3 don't think that pictures from the lake of ozarks in missouri have anything to do with grand lake and plus who wants to pay 300 bucks to get an amature fishing trip, not me, i like to show people how to fish for free, not to charge them, good luck anyways

9. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    KansasKatter; You have picked a nice place to stay. unfortunately you will be right across from shangri-la resort and just down from Honey creek. This is the area where most of the big boats, jet skies etc come from. They tear up that part of the lake on holidays. I run my old 16 foot bass boat on this part of the lake. I put in at Bears Den over by sailboat bridge and run across the lake to the Patricia island area which is basically where you are staying. Defiantly take your boat. There are some nice little coves. Patrica island will off to the right of where you will be. Thats where me and my son caught the fish in my avatar back around April. This should be a good area to go out a little before dark and set some jug lines, But I would check them kind of early. Anyway enjoy your trip. David (rudeopossum)

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Show us your pictures then!

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well we went and had a blast. That resort (Candlewick) is beautiful, and the people were so nice. I did alright in my boat, had that thing all over the lake one evening (Friday) before the big boys got to tearing up the lake. I caught several channel cat, and 1 blue around 10lbs or so.

The best part of the trip by far was catching bluegill off the dock with Brittany. She was using her little Barbie fishing pole, and we had a BLAST!! I can't even tell you how many bluegill we caught, but I bet it was in the hundreds. Went through 3 dozen worms, a pinch at a time, if that tells you anything. She also caught a bass about 2lbs, and a channel cat about 2lbs as well. She is hooked, every 10 minutes of the entire weekend she was wanting to "Go phissing Daddy!, Go phissing!". And of course, every time she asked, we would go! She was the darling of the resort.

One question about the lake though. We rented a pontoon boat and cruised around the lake most the day Saturday. We kept seeing these HUGE fish jumping, but were never close enough to tell for sure what they were. These things would come out of the water 4 or 5 feet, and still have half their body in the water. They were a real light brown/greenish color, and if I did not know better would swear they were gar, but I have not seen gar that big around here!:crazy: Anyone know what they were?

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Most likely spoonbill. Grand has a huge population of spoonbill and they jump out of the water in the summer time.

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Dang!! I didn't even think of that, and you are probably right! It was the bill that was making me think they were gar, with the long nose!

Reps to you my man!

14. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad to hear that you and ur family had a good time and made it home safe and sound. Yes it would have been spoonbill.

15. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jeff, glad to hear you and brittney had such a great time!