Grabbing Ole Whiskers

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Gotbuck, May 28, 2009.

1. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    Granted I'm new here and you have probably have answered this before, but what is the best way to grab a cat? I usually grab it from the underside and make sure his side fins are forward and grab them from behind that way that dorsal does not get me. That works on small fish but how do guys grab them big ones?

2. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Welcome to the site Buck. Im new too. Im a puss when it comes to grabbin them i wear some old crappy auto mech gloves, the small ones i just grab them, i have only picked up one 30lb cat before and i just grabbed its bottom jaw. Good post because i been wondering the same thing. Happy fishing

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    welcome to the boc bro, just grab um though the gill plates, unless its small, then i use two fingers behind the fins with thumb in mouth.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i had to edit that i got side tracked w my son and for got what i was sayin

5. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Try a pair of locking floating fish grips by Team Catfish Tackle they work great.

6. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Here is a little secret that works wonders if you don't already know about it. Most of us have gotten a fin to our hand at one point and especially with those littler guys. Those little guys "when finned" alot of times can sting at the point of impact. Here is the quick medical cure for when being finned happens and it works 100% of the time, and very quickly. Take that part of your body "usually hand" and just rub it on the catfishes skin. The belly of the cat is the best part and as crazy it may seem to some...IT WORKS:big_smile: stinging and any bleeding will be gone before a minutes time.

Remember it the next time you may get finned as it truly works. Little channels can sometimes really sting when they get you:eek:oooh:

7. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    AGREED !! or something similar from bass pro!! dont even need a net for most- just reach down and lock on and pull em in

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Its the little ones that will get you hurt most of the time. I grab the smaller ones from underneath and my fingers are between the fins. The big ones I mouth with one hand and the other hand is under there belly to balance the weight.

I never touch the gill plates because it will tare the gills from all the weight. I guess if your eating them it wont matter. Most catmen will get on you if they see your grab gills......this is how I learned.

Cat slime on a cut...well that's a debate of its own, right up there with urinating on it. I aint doing either, I've seen some ugly infections from this. I've used slime and I think its all in your mind, I've never seen someone relieved for the pain from using these methods. I personally use salt/water while out there. Salts draws stuff out and cleans, then I peroxide when I get home. Each to his own on that...but you would think there is medical information to back it up but I haven't seen it anywhere other than old timers tales that have been passed down....I think it's all in your mind. You get stuck hard and its gonna hurt a for a day no matter what ; )

-Jim-

9. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Jim it's not in my mind at all. You won't know unless you do it. <lol> I knew some will think I am crazy and thats ok. All I can say is give it a try. The only way infections would happen is if you left it on and you don't. When that stinging goes away was your hands or when you get home.

Jim think about this for a sec. That slime coat is on the catfishes body for what? to protect the skin of the catish. A slim coat serves a purpose for most fish with protection from bacteria, etc. You touch that slim coat regardless when you handle a fish so it's not really gross. Say you got a little boo boo on your thumb. Rub it on the belly a couple of times and the stinging will be gone soon:big_smile: then wash your hands. Come home and then put something on it. While out on the water it will just get rid of the nagging stinging. I promise anybody it will.

Now urinating. I wouldn't do that by getting fined and never heard of anybody who has. However, I do know that if you don't have any vinager at a beach the second best thing is to urinate on the wound from stepping on a stingray. There are scientific facts on that and any ocean beach life guard will tell you the same thing. Also and ask your doc about this. Actually, your urine is the most sterile part of your body. By the time you urinate your body has filtered and cleansed whats coming out of you. Now, you wouldn't want to just leave urine on your body as that will cause infections.

It's ok brother if you still think I am nut's and it's in my head. I just tell anybody to try it just once. If it truly didn't work for ya? just pm me and tell how nuts I am and refer me to a good shrink <lol>:crazy:

10. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Opp's I said stingray when I was really thinking about jelly fish encounters. It may work for stingrays as well as they use vineager to treat for singray stings as well.

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think your nuts, LOL. Trust me, in my few years of being on the BoC this topic has come up a million times. It's nothing new to say in the least, I've been hearing this tale for 35 years . As for trying it I have, many, many, many , times...did I say many times ? It has never , ever, ever, helped me one time. I get stuck, I suck out the blood as fast I can, and soak it in salt. You ever hear of salmonella poisoning ? well play around enough and you can become a lucky winner. As far as urine, I wouldn't just because of the thought of it...yea, it's a mental thing. I've been stuck two times in one trip. One I rubbed cat slime on the other I just cleaned. They both stopped hurting at the same time, except the cat slime one became red around the hole by the time I got home ; (

Oddly, we can theorize it all we want but the fact is...there is no scientific proof to the theory. Hearing it from fisherman doesn't cut it...get a doctor to prove it to us. IMO its right up there with the tale of the giant cat the diver saw while cleaning the pipes out at the bottom of a dam. If its scientifically proved don't you think someone would be a millionaire from selling cat slime for wounds ?

Chances are even if you didn't rub the wound with slim it would have stopped hurting anyway. Very rare do I hurt from the sting long at all. A hole in ya is gonna hurt some no matter what or where it came from, it just depends on where and how deep you get stuck.

By all means, if you think it works then do it. The mind is a powerful thing and if you believe it enough you mind will block out the sting.

Sorry if I sound like a smart arse, I don't intend to, I'm just debating the subject. Try doing a search on here about it. It will show you that some folks say it works and some say its bull....I'm on team " its bull ".

I appreciate your input as we all do. And yea, a lot of people will show up agreeing with you and some will explain what I'm saying.

Thanks for sharing. We will have to agree that we disagree is all.

Tight lines brother !!!!
    -Jim-

12. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Your not being a smart arse at all Jim:big_smile: Mind or slime it's working for me anyways <lol>

13. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:
    I have used this method and it works. Don't be squeamish about trying, you alreday have slime on your hands, that is if you catch any.:roll_eyes:

14. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess I can kiss the fish and buy it dinner also:smile2:. The little ones I almost always get stuck, I will try it this weekend as I'm sure to get stuck. The main thing is to clean it as soon as you can. A guy I knew got finned deep one time and all he did was wrap it and bled like a stuck pig. We had to leave and goto the hospital for treatment as his had swelled up like a balloon. That fish grip that was mentioned here by our sponsors, does it handle big fish well? I've seen many of these things and all are made of cheap plastic so I stay away. I'm looking for sure gripping power. The ones I have seen by Boga are way too much for my blood but well made.

15. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just got a pair of the Catfish Grips from Team Catfish and love em. They work great on the little ones and also on the bigger fish. I will still grab a flathead by hand, I never seem to get stuck or get the hide ripped off my knuckles by a flathead.

16. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i think the fish grippers that have a scale on the are pretty neat. but i allways grab em by hand, even if you get stuck it cant be any worse then getting a hook in your mouth and having it ripped out.....like the catfish you just caught...lol