Grabbing Huge Flatheads

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Redtick, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I saw a show on the Outdoor Channel yesterday about noodling huge flatheads. It was interesting but not something I would do. But, I think some of you guys would enjoy the show. Click on this url and then scroll to the bottom of the list to get the time the show will be on. All times are EST. The show was called Hunting Across America.

http://outdoorchannel.com/showschedu...layPage=Friday

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I watched that show myself those guys were pretty funny to.What i didnt like about it was they wouldnt throw anything back,even the host asked them if they CPR and they said they never threw anything back,i didnt care for that to much but it was very interesting for sure.I dont think id have the marbles to that though.I guess its like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get lol.Be it good or bad.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the first (and only) time i opened that "box of chocollates" i pulled out a Blacksnake! never again! i looked like forest gump runnin on water!

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey I here you. Its cool to watch but its not for me either.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    LOL thats why i dont do that stuff.I would have been running not walking on the water if i didnt have a heart attack first.That gives me the willies just thinking about it.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think I might try it sometime. The hardest part I have with it is talking someone into doing it with me. Ive had a coupe of guys say they would get in with me but they wouldnt try it. I plan on getting up the 002 try one of these days not shure when that'll be:cat:

7. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    You will not catch me sticking my hands in to a hole that I can not see into!

Here in TX everything here either bites you or sticks you!

8. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Redtick believe it or not, I was just looking at a magazine about flathead fishing.. on the back was girls gone noodling!! I swear these girls looked like they were hogging 40+# flatheads. That....is a must see.:)

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    got it its not what i call a must see but its worth checking out, yea their grabbing 40#ers 44 was the biggest weighted

10. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    i'd like to go noodling for some but i probably never will. lol

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I aint going to try noodling, I dont think its a good idea, u dont know where u is sticking ur hand at!

12. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I saw a show a few years ago about noodling. It was an old timer who would only go after the flatties in trees and cutbanks. They showed his hands and they were all chewed up. He said the worst thing to come across in those holes was a cornered beaver. I do believe he actually lost a finger to one. He said no matter what happened he would do it til he died.

13. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I actually know some guys who do this. They asked me to go with em but I said no thanks. I'll stick to fishin with hooks. I'd be scared I reach under a stump and put my hand into the mouth of a big ol loggerhead and I'd come out with a nub!

14. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I think I would try my hand at noodling before I would try reaching for turtles again. I got talking into doing this with some good ole' boys when I was still a teenager. I started off holding the bag, so I suspected I was really in for a snipe hunt. We wadded in a creek looking for holes in the bank in muddy water between waist and chest high. I was stunned when Tubbs turned around after reaching into a hole with a 20# turtle by the tail. Let me tell you, there is no way to open that bag wide enough. I watched for the first three. I was in constant fear that they would tear through the bag and eat me alive. We stopped, emptied our catch into the bed of a truck and headed back to the water.

The theory behind the madness is that a turtle will go into the hole and not turn around until disturbed or ready to leave. That is... most of the time. I had actually thought that this wasn't as crazy as it sounded after watching Tubbs. When I reached into the first hole, it was like there was a turtle pull handle waiting for me. I grabbed fast and yanked it out. A 10# snapper was in the bag before I realized I was not breathing. The surge of confidence I felt was short lived though.

The next hole had another LARGER turtle in it. Unfortunately, I touched his leg before I found the tail. I actually felt him turn around. My hand came out like a shot. I told Tubbs what I thought had happened. He said, "no problem." When he bent over the hole, I swore I thought he was going to reach in. Instead, he shoved a 2 1/2 foot length of a thick broom handle in the hole and began jabbing it in. He looked halfway back at me over his shoulder with a mad man's grin on his face. "He's good and pissed now," he said. "Stand back a little would ya?" Then he sort of wiggled the stick a little, said "Uh huh," and whipped the tool back with a highly perturbed turtle that was bigger than the first 20# one clamped on the end. "Quick!" He shouted. "Open the bag" I was standing there slacked jawed and numbly and dumbly obeyed. The turtle went in gnarled stick and all. "See. No worries," he said mocking me.

That ended the day for me. As we waited in the truck for the others who worked the high end of the creek, Tubbs explained that a snapper's bill has teeth like devices that are curved in to help it hold prey. By getting it to bite hard and jerking the stick back, the turtle would struggle to let go. He was smiling again the whole time he explained, so I don't really know if he was pulling my leg or not.

In the end there were a dozen mad hissing turtles ranging from 8# to 27# in the bed of the truck. Bill squeezed in the cab next to us. He looked at me and teased, "It's a little crowded in here. Wanna ride in the back?" He and Tubbs laughed at my expense. "We got a good haul. It'll over five years before we can go back. I guess you could say we were double lucky." He added a pregnant pause and concluded, "We didn't hit any snakes or muskrats this time."

Consider me permanently retired from the sport. :blink:

Spencer Blanton

15. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    WoW spencer sounds like you had a blast.... though i have never heard of anyone around here going specificly for turtles and not Kitty kitties...lol

16. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Personally I think that noodling should be outlawed across the board!!! These people are taking these Flatheads off of the nest, so that leaves the eggs or fry to fend for themselves and we all know how that will turn out. This will cause a decline in the flathead population in the area that this is done. So in the end they are hurting their own sport and ours.

17. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    The only hole I'm sticking my hand into is my pocket to pull out the money to pay for that rod & reel to go fishing with!

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would love to go with someone that knows what they are doing, but being of small stones, I'm staying in the boat so I can throw them back, when they go after another one. I do think it would be an adventure.

19. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    try sticking your hands in holes in these parts and your liable to find a 10' gator waiting for ya so he can have lunch or find yourself reaching in a mocasins' nest so do we do it around here? i ain't seen no one doing it or even talking about it........