Gps

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by sgt_rob, Nov 8, 2005.

1. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Has anyone had luck using a GPS in the tall timber? I gave it a shot this past weekend and it was useless. It took about 10 minutes to initially locate the satellites at the truck and once in the forest, it was useless. I've used it successfully in the mountains of Montana but the trees really seem to break up the signal. If you are having luck, please let us know what unit you are using.

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Rob, what brand and model are you using
    I've got a garmin and it's worked fine in the woods.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good point Keith.Some of the older units didn't have as many channels available as the newer ones and took some time to get a fix if the satellites were low to the the horizon.Just about every Marine down here has one of the Lowrance or Garmin new models and they seem to do well in our tall pine forests.Hardly ever lose a Marine anymore.LOL

4. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Ive got a buddie that uses one all the time and has never had a problem with it I think its a garvin as well.

5. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Mine is a Garmin E-Trex, bought in 2000. The batteries were replaced the day I last used it. That is odd that you guys are not having problems at all.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I used to have a Garmin Etrex Vista that I used for geocaching & reception was not very good under heavy canopy. The entire etrex line has reception problems due to the type of internal antenna it uses. I now use a Garmin GPSMap 60CS & it does much better! :)

Eric

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Rob if I remember right it was around 2000 that most units went to the 12 channel receivers and probably more sensitive antenaes.You might want to invest in a newer model or contact the company and tell them the problem.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had an older model Magellan that was pretty much useless in heavy timber. I bought a new model (315) several years ago and it works ok, even better in the winter after foliage is gone. I usually turn it on before I enter the woods and stick it in a pocket. That way, when I need to look at it, I don't have to wait for it to 'find' itself, and it updates my track the whole time.
    We also have a couple of garmin etrex, and they work well, but the screen is a little too small for my old eyes.

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have a garmin etrex ledgend i bought this year works great in the woods house car boat our in the open i love it. it even works in wally world is why i bought it for when i go shopping with the wife i can find my way back to the car :p

my older garmin was terrible in the woods though the new ones work better

10. Bluecathunter

Bluecathunter New Member

State:
    Midlothian, Virginia
    I have a garmin map 60C and never have a problem. It sounds like it depends on what unit you have.

11. e5catfish

e5catfish New Member

State:
    Smilax, KY
    I have a Magellan Merridian Gold and dearly love it. It's a big help on the lake marking a new spot, setting lines and priceless in the fog! I use it deer hunting to mark tree stands and also to measure the distance from me to the shot site when I kill a deer. I've got a 500 yard rifle range I built up on the mountain, measured exactly, and I checked it up there for accurate distance measuring and it was within 1 yard, 2 at the most. Too me, it's a very valuable piece of gear. Can't imagine doing what I do without one!

12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I have the cheapest Garmin handheld you can buy. No problems at all in the woods!

It isn't very accurate...but will get back CLOSE to my truck. On the lake it is useless for finding unmarked brushpiles. It will say am on it but I will still be quite a ways away from it.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a Garmin 60cs with the waas enabled its accurate to about ten feet