GPS unit for 150 Bucks?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by silver_dollar, Feb 4, 2006.

1. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's all I have to spend. Can I get a Garmin or Magellan for that amount of money that will "get me around" so to speak?

I have never owned, operated or even held a GPS unit, but I would like to experiment around with one.

Any suggestions?

Harland

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Harland, If you fish at night or hunt a big set of wood than the hand held GPS is the way to go. On my Magellan, when you get to the boat ramp press MARK, it will store that in the memory as a land mark,If the is the first mark,it will be entered as land mark 1, when you get ready to go back to the ramp at night you cant see press goto and will put up the land marks enter land mark 1 and the GPS will point to the boat ramp. same way with a truck if hunting.

3. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

Yes you can get a GPS for under 150 bucks. I have a small hand held garmen GPS that I absolutely love, it has all the features that you need. This GPS you can get for around a 100 dollors. Some places sell them for cheaper then others, I bought mine from cabelas for really cheep 89 bucks. I recomend you looking on e-bay, I almost garentee you that you can get an amazing deal.

Take Care!

Sincerely, Kevin

4. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Can somebody give me a make and model number of a good unit to buy?

Thanks, Harland

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Harland here you go: magellan explorist 100=$99.99,lowrence ifinder Go2=$99.00, cobera 100=$89.99, garmin 72=$149.99 garmin etrex=$99.99

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I would look into a Garmin unit. I've seen and used others and like the Garmin's the best. Check ebay I'm sure you can get a great unit for $100-$150. I know a lot of people like the etrex models and they are resonably priced

7. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have the garmin etrx legend bought it on sale for 79 bucks i love it.

8. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    I use a Garmin 72 and have no complaints.Its showed me the way back to the boat ramp when the fogs rolled in on many occaisions.I can follow it the exact way I went or take a short cut or two.Do your homework before you buy.Use the search and you'll find lots of info:cool:

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have a Cobra GP 100 for about 89.99 and love it. Got it at Bass Pro.

10. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I thank everyone for the input!!

Wolfman, I will look into that Meridian Gold and will buy it if I can find it. A lot of the discontinued units have been replaced by higher dollar stuff.

I really cant justify over 200 dollars for a play pretty right now! Wifey would go nuts! LOL!

Thanks to all again! Harland:)

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The one on the left is the older one. I will probaly be donated to the B.O.C. as a star giveaway. The one on the right is my new one latest model. I got for christmas.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Brian, here is the Gps

13. barbaros

barbaros New Member

State:
    Turkiye
    Hello,
    I agree with wolfman,
    If you prefer a better unit to have; try to get a colored model. They are affordable and very easy to handle.

BR from Turkiye,
    Serdar

14. RT1

RT1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i just bought my first gps last nite its a garmin etrex got it from wallymart for 99 bucks ,its not to bad a unit so far,iv'e so far manually added my first way point to a fishing holes i located ,with the use of mapcard and some bathymetric maps of the lake and jumped in my truck and it took me to ecactly were i was looking at on the map.i might add the one i got from wallyworld didnt come with any accesories just the lanyard,i half to order online the pc cable to hook it to my pc ,so ican be updated and you can put in gps cordinates ..good luck

15. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have an Etrex Legend also and it's been the best gps I've had yet. It's very easy to use.