GPS Speed MPH

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by JDWILLIS39, Mar 3, 2009.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have Lowrance 113 C HD and when get below about .60 or .50 MPH it stops showing any MPH and just shows .00. I have seen other units show as low as .15 or .20. Can someone tell me how to correct this problem or is it just what it is supposed to do. Drift fish on Lake Mountrie and would like to see the speed when wind is less than 15 MPH. Some of you GPS guru set me straight please. Thanks guys in advance.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, I'm not sure there is a way; if there is I'd like to know, too. Mine will read to about .4 mph, and no lower. My Garmin handheld will go down to .1 mph, I think, and I know the HB 797 will track down to about .2 mph. There is a setting in the main menu that sets minimum tracking speed, but it doesn't seem to affect the actual readings.
    Roundhill may know something; his 111 is very similar to yours. Where are ya, Ron?

3. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Tommy, that is about my experience also. If good steady brisk wind and moving about .45 or more get reading but less than that .00. But Jim's Hummingbird .1 or .2.
    Here is what I got from Lowrance but don't think it is any help have not got to try it out yet

"As you know, GPS Speed over ground is not accurate under 5 mph and will become less accurate as speeds slow. If you are needing accurate trolling speeds, it is recommended the water speed sensor be added.

The update rate can be changed under My Trails/Options. You might also want to remove the Track Smoothing selection on the GPS Setup Menu. "

I have removed the track smoothing before but does not help that problem. I have water speed sensor but drifting backward like we do here it does not work at all.
    Still learning about these things. OK guys clue me and Tommy in.:roll_eyes: Thanks Tommy. It was to cold for me to fish today (windy)

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    john mine gos to pont .03 to .04 that should not bother anything what i worry about is .09 and up when below .04 to .00 you can see if your line stays out when it stops turn on the trolling motor but the trolling whell can be turned to work backwords i have a spare if i can find it i will bring it to you the roundhill

5. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Ron, I am doing OK drifting I was just trying see if it was the machine or me. Apparently mine is doing about what it is supposed to do. I just back troll with motor if really after fish. But I just fish to kill time so sometimes I just sit there if wind stops.
    Have good day.