GPS Recommendation?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dumpysinclair, Jun 23, 2009.

1. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Does anyone recommend a GPS that's good for the boat and car? That's what I'm looking for, one that I can use mainly in the car but that's also good on the boat. I'd like to be able to "set waypoints," which I guess means mark spots that I like. I also want it to be helpful in navigation on the water, mapping, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I have a Lowrance XOG that I bought when Boaters World was going out of business. It does both streets and water. You can also use the Navionics card in the unit. The display is just like my larger GPS as far as bottom contours etc.

I am sure there are others just as good or better but I am familiar with this unit.

I hope this helps

Jim

3. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I've got a garmin nuvi 350 for the car..... and a lowrance h2oc for the boat. I love them both.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Lowrance XOG is pretty neat to do both car and boat. I really like one I have and have used it both places. If want one take on water when not in my boat it works great. Travels well. Just the one I have used. Most auto units you can not disable the turn by turn to use on water but XOG you can. Takes fish SD cards so it is just like bigger unit.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Will the Garmin Nuvi 250 work on the water with the lake card?? Because cost cos has them for like $150 with the rebate, and you don't need the antenna and all the extra hook ups.

6. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I looked on amazon and there are a few lowrance xog's on there for $169.

7. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all of the good input guys. Gomer, I don't know if that one will or not, but be careful w/garmin. My wife bought me a Nuvi 500 and it has pictures of water use on the box. She talked with a Garmin rep. and they recommended it and so she bought it...to find out that after we got it home, you have to pay $100+ more for maps. Until you buy these maps, you can't even access the boating feature. So, just fyi.

Take care guys and thanks again. I'm going to look into the Lowrance units.

8. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Thanks Scott , I knew you had to get the lake chip for both the units but the Nuvi has a 4" screen where the xog has a 3". I just mainly want to know if the chip will work equally as well in both units ??? Because as you were saying the lake chip is about $95.00 for both units. Thank you guys for all the input.
    The main thing I like about the units is they are portable for a small boat and you don't have all the wiring and antennas to hook up.

9. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If you find out please post it on here. I have a Garmin Nuvi 260w. I've had it on the water but not with a lake card. So It just shows the outline of the lake or river.

10. FishN4Fun

FishN4Fun New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use the Lowrance XOG also. Good unit for boat and car use but I just use it in my boat. I think the price you pay for one and all the capabilities it provides cant be beat.

11. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    thanks for ALL the info guys