GPS Receiver location?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by turtle1173, Dec 4, 2006.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I just got a new fishfinder/GPS combo and I was curious as to the best location to mount the GPS receiver. I always disconnect my fishfinder and bring it indoors after parking the boat but I'm assuming this will be something that stays on the boat permanently.

Thanks!

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Shane what unit did you get?My receiver is mounted on the Grab rail on my Center console so it remains on board and the unit gets dismounted.Any place where you have a clear look at the sky will do as long as you can route the cables to the base unit.:smile2:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I don't know this for a fact but I ave heard to mount it as close to transducer as possible. Supposedly gives you better location of what you are actually seeing. For minstance if transducer is on back of boat mount the receiver close to the back of the boat. Any comments appreciated.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I mounted mine on the front of the boat for that was the best location to be out of the way and have a clear shot of the sky. I also leave it in the boat all the time.

Attached Files:

5. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc

Attached Files:

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You want to mount the GPS receiver in an area where it will have maximum view of the sky, since that's where the satellites are...

The exact location doesn't really matter; just pick a spot that's out of the way, where you won't trip over it getting in or out of the boat, or catch it with the throw net or anchor line, and where the receiver isn't hidden by a console, windshield, motor cowling or anything else - the better view of the sky you can give the receiver, the better accuracy you'll get out of it.

There's no need to mount it directly over the transducer; the best GPS accuracy you'll see won't be any better than around 20 to 40 ft anyway (Check the "EPE" or "estimated position error" on the GPS status screen), even if you mount it with a perfect view of the sky. And even if it was giving you your *exact* coordinates when you mark a "fishy looking" spot on the sonar, you probably won't be able to accurately anchor the boat over that spot when you come back. So don't get too caught up in the minutiae.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    mr t i disagree with you on them distances. mine will get me within 5ft. the advantage to putting over the transducer makes a lot of sense to me because i know where small structure is in my lakes and i get off the distance of my transducer to gps mod when coming to it one direction but turn around and im right on it. i have noticed this over time. some structure i fish is man made and i know where it is at but unless i get right on top of it, its hard to see. somethings i have to circle it to get on it. dont know what kind you have got but mine is a lowrance and it will put me within 5 ft if not closer.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Mine is on the back by the Transducer. But will be moving it to the console or front of the boat.
    AS when you swing to get on a spot. Its hard as the back of the boat swings the wrong way. And you have to work harder .
    Pete

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Next time you're on the water, crank up your Lowrance and go to the Satellite Status page (the first page listed under the "Status" tab after you hit the Pages button) and note the number shown under "Position Error" (top left box on the status page).

That's the estimated error between the reported position and your "true" position, and will fluctuate based on the current position of the satellites in the sky and whether you're receiving WAAS corrections or not. Your location on the planet will also impact the accuracy you get. An Estimated Position Error of X feet basically says there's at least a 50% confidence that the lat/long coordinates currently shown on your unit are within X feet of the "true" lat/long of your position. The smaller number, the closer your unit is to being "correct."

Anyway, my money says the position error you see on your Lowrance unit is nowhere close to 5 ft... Best I've seen on mine is about 15 ft., but it's usually between 20 and 30 ft.

10. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll probably end up just putting it on the console behind the fishfinder unit, as that will be the most out of the way spot.

I hope I don't regret not getting a Lowrance but I ended up getting a real good deal on the Humminbird 787c2 GPS/Fishfinder Combo. I believe it's their 3rd best unit, as it's the top of the 700 class. 640x 480 pixels, 4,000 watts, 256 colors, dual beam (20 & 60 degree), I can record snapshots onto an SD memory card, and hook it up to the PC to program & update software, etc. I plan on doing a full review of it after I get some time on it. Of course, I've got to get it installed first, LOL.

11. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I hooked this unit up for the first time tonight in my living room, LOL. Here's a couple of pictures I got of the GPS function that shows the town I live in, as well as a 3D image.

I thought this was pretty cool and sure can't wait to get it out on the water!

Attached Files:

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The stated accuracy for GPS alone is 10 mtrs with SA turned off.That is an average of the vertical and horizontal element.That is 10 mtrs 95% of the time.WAAS has an accuracy of 3 mtrs 95% of the time which is still 10 ft but for practical purposes very very good unless you are navigating the marked channel on Moultrie in a very dense fog at which time you wonder which 10 ft it is.:big_smile: :eek:oooh: :tounge_out: Military has much more precise capabilty for targeting purposes.It is interesting to note that the biggest reason for errors is a "Billowing of the Ionosphere" which causes slight delays of the radio signals from the satellites to the ground receivers.The available accuracy should get you back to your fishing spot without much problem, used in conjunction with the depthfinder.Thats why I love the split screen dual mode capability of the Lowrances.10 Mtrs is roughly 30 ft and my boat is 21 ft so I should be very close to any hotspot,10ft with WAAS so I don't have any complaints.Note the accuracy is an average and circumstances can align to provide a smaller error for short periods of time and it can also be bigger than the average.That is why the warning comes up not to rely solely on the GPS as a navigation aid.:tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :big_smile:

13. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't think you'll regret getting the Humminbird. I have one (a different model, but is has basically the same features). It has been a pretty good unit since I got it a couples years back.

Mr. T. and Jim gave you some pretty good information to go on as far as what GPS is really about. I use GPS quit a lot with fishing and land navigation with my tracking hounds.

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    GPS morning to you!

Looks like thats a great view with yours guys...

No regrets with my Lowrance 3500. When I use it offshore in 200-300 ft depths for Rock Cod holes... I use the trails function at .o4'. With the trails, I can see my drift in the ocean, and go beyond the hole, and then allow for the swell and wind, and leter go to the bottom..."I dont like to pull up and anchor at that depth" ...Its just a quick drop to the fish. My Transponder is on the "dash board" of my 18' boat, and the transducer is at the back.. With the depth, I'm working, and cone angle, I'm off 30ft in 100 ft of water, and 60 in 200 ft. etc. That is why I use the trails... Only problem is.... Three times my unit went "wacko" trying to find itself... Thought the government was putting some interferance out to discourage "terriosts". I was by LA airport off shore, and another time by Vandenburg AFB.

bayrunner ray

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Ray microwave uplink transmissions will interfere so you were probably close to some in the places you describe particularly Vandenberg.:smile2:

16. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I have a top of the line Hummingbird with GPS capability, but I was given a Sitex GPS with a generous size screen, so I just mounted it next to the fishfinder. My reciever/antenna is mounted on the side of my center console.

There is a attachment hole for an additional antenna to be affixed, if need be, but my buddy, a marine electronics expert, said it was unecessary for my needs.