gps or new combo unit

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by wedge17.6, Jan 2, 2009.

1. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    Hello all, I am a new too the BOC, and really enjoy all of the post on what is going on around the world. I hang out around the northeast part of okla, Now the ????. I have a lowrance 510c and really love it, but I now am wanting to add gps to the boat to be able to track the rivers and creeks in my areaand set waypoints. Would I be better off to just add a stand alone unit or go for a new combo all in one unit.. thanks for your impute and comments

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Lee, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of graet information in there.

If it were me and I could afford a combo unit then that is the best route. Put the other unit on your trolling motor.

3. drifter106

drifter106 Member

State:
    kansas
    You have a decent unit but if your wanting a GPS combo I would look at the Lowrance HDS 5. Options this year provide a "new" software addition (broadband sounder) that supposedly will filter and clean up the image. Lowrance has had this ability for a few years with a real "hardware" unit as an add on. The transducer will be similiar to their traditional unit (200 khz) but will also be able to function at 83 khz. Providing a wider but somewhat weaker signal. You can't beat Lowrance for GPS (cept maybe using a Garmin handheld). I have seen the 520c in the water and it does an exceptional job..really good in sunlight too. People say this technology is definitely a step forward for Lowrance. Putting your 510c on the front would make for a deadly combination. I know the 520c will connect by ethernet (not sure about the 510). You can find a lot of places dumping the 520 series right now at a substantial savings (HDS's are coming soon). So that could be a possiblity.

Another option would be to get a Lowrance H2O handheld. The H2Oc has 16 channels...H2O has 12. Lots of options...shop around for sure. Thats what I have been doing the last 2 weeks and have found a lot of places that offer these units at substantial savings.

Least expensive way, get the H2O...you can use it in and out of the boat. I have had one for 3 years and find it a very workable solution.

4. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I originally thought that I needed a combo unit, so I got a HB 797 SI. I short time I found that I didn't like switching back and forth from the different screens. I got a stand alone HB GPS that is mounted right next to sonar. Now I can leave the sonar on what screen I want and still have the GPS capability without the hassle of changing all the time.

5. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    as far as accuracy gps microchips are all produced by the same company, the difference is bells and whistles. check craigslist there was a brand new handheld for 50$ last week in my area. one draw back to a handheld is screen size. i just got a lowrance lms 522 combo, love it. i run it on split screen most of the time so dont have to press buttons to much. as was posted earlier you can get a deal on last years stuff because of the new models. the mew hd's are nice but $$, 850$ for the 5in screen(ouch). i was able to pick my 522 up for around 450$:smile2:.

6. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
    I have picked up a lowrance lms 480, and I will mount it beside the 510c and be able too have both full screens. The 480 is not color but will work great for following the rivers and creeks where I fish. cabalas had them on sale for $199.00
    lwest