GPS not locking in?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MossyBack, Aug 13, 2008.

1. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Last two times on the water, my gps is not locking in on my depthfinder. It started acting up a few months ago but would eventully lock in. Anyone with some suggestions? Thanks.

2. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    First place I would look is antenna and if you can enable WASS and see if you can set or reset calibration. If you went fishing out of your area it might be looking for satalites that are no longer in your area and your unit is more or less lost. I use hand helds at work. Most of the time its a reception issue. I do not have alot of experience with the unit on my boat a 797si Humminbird so my input may have little value to you.

Thats all I can do for you. good luck

3. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds good to me. I have had my boat in three states in the last couple of months and that is exactly when it started acting up. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know if this works.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Your gps unit is trying to locate the satellites. Every time you went to a different state the satellite position changed and the unit had to try and relocate the satellites. If you turn off the WAAS and then turn it back on it will go into a search for the satellites and try to relocate them.

I have to do this sometimes with my handheld especially if I hadn't used it in a while. It takes about two to three minutes for it to locate the satellites. Once it locates them everything is a ok.

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can also contact your manufacturer and trouble shoot it over the phone...i had a hand hled do this to me a while back and after speaking with a technician all it needed was to be "reset"...worst case is you will have to box it up and send it in to be repaired...good luck.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jason also check you battery connections sometimes mine wont lock in and I can loosen the the connection on the battery and retighten and it aquires position guess it may be building alittle corrosion the the terminals.

7. crappie capt.

crappie capt. New Member

State:
    Rock hill s.c.
    jason some times my unit does the same thing. ive found out if i dissable the wass connection ,its not looking for the three D connection.and it will pick up a signial. i have a lowrance 5200c.

8. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Going to mess around with it tomorrow and will let you all know what happens. thanks for all of the help. Hope I can repay the favors.