GPS/Chartplotter Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by puddle jumper, Jan 27, 2010.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey Guys,
    Im trying to add a chartploter to the dash of my boat,,"installed in the dash", Can I use a chartplotter with a internal antenna, or does it have to be a external to mount it in the dash??? How well will it recive a signal if I do,,,
    Right now im just looking but would stink to get it and find out it would not work...
    also any one have any exsperiance with a good one they can recomend?? Looking to spend about 3-4 hundred...If that possible
    Puddle

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia

3. You don't know how bad I would like to advise you on that bud, haha.....I aint got chit.:wilt:

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    John, I don't know about the boat GPS units but I do know a little about car GPS.
    For the car units, the antenna is about the most important part of it. The antenna is a small micro chip that picks up the sat signals and does all the calculations and passes that info to the rest of the unit. It's rather small, maybe 1/2" square. I would guess that as long as there isn't any metal on top of the unit, it should get signal but like I said, I'm not to familiar with marine units. An external antenna would guarantee a good signal. I guess that if it didn't get a good signal you could add an external one later.