GPS...any good?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by spanishcatman, Jan 18, 2007.

1. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys
    I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those little hand-held GPS units. The ones that are WAAS/EGNOS enabled. How accurate are they in a real life situation? They claim within 5 feet, but life has made me somewhat cynical about manufacturer data! Lets assume that we have a decent number of satellites. And I have good reasons for needing that kind of accuracy!

America has always been ahead of Europe when it comes to these sort of gadgets and I look forward to your opinions.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i got one for christmas and its awsome its accurate up to 3' if ur a hunter or fisher man u need one bottom line

3. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use mine to find my way out of the woods when hunting and to mark good fishing spots on the water its a wonderful invention and im sure it saves lives.

4. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what is a good brand and price range for a man that needs it for fishing?

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have garmin Rhino. It is great if u can getthe 12v adapter (another $20) if not then u have to keep alot of batteries handy. In a 8hr day it will go through 9 AA's.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I got one for my Birthday, for $125 I think it was, I still have not tried to really use it much yet, which is stupid because they are very useful to mark spots and stuff, I'm going to learn how to use it very soon.

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I use a Magellan Meridian Platinum for my hand held and a Furuno linked to my chart plotter on my boat. The hand held does the job of both instruments on the boat and I sometimes take it with me as it contains 100s of way-points (fishing spots) in local waters that I have programed into it. It allow me to return to the same spot accurately over and over as close as I care to get (within a foot or two).
    The Magellan cost right at $300 on sale and you can expect to spend around $100 for map software ($70 or less on EBay).
    The GPS eliminates the need to carry a map and compass in backwoods areas and large waterways where you can easily get lost if not familiar, however it's prudent to carry them as backup. Battery consumption is a problem that must be taken into consideration if you plan on using GPS away from a power source(12V/DC).
    Over all I think that a good quality GPS unit is well worth investment.
    :cool2:

8. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    That's really helpful guys! Is the Garmin gecko any good? It's a sensible price over here... :smile2: