GPS and Advice

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by capnmorgan, Nov 30, 2006.

1. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm thinking about getting a GPS for keeping up with spots. Anyone think its a good tool. And if so how user friendly are they? I'm not a techie type

2. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Mine is about as important to me as my boat key or my wallet. I've used an Etrex Legend for a couple years now and I love it.

3. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    You look like a duck hunter. do you use it while duck hunting too?

4. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    GPS ? ABSOLUTELY ! I have 2 of them.

I have a Garmin GPSmap 76c. It has 24 MB of memory available and I have loaded it with the TOPO maps of my entire state. It has an altimiter and barometer. I not only use it for my non-boat fishing, but for tracking with my hounds and all other outdoor activities too.

My fish finder has a GPS on it as well and I use that while fishing to plot my hot spots and to be able to return to the exact spots where I picked up fish. It also is an excellent and very accurate method to monitor trolling speed.

I would definitely recommend one for what ever your outdoor activity might be.

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Good post Dave ... since I'm in the market as well. For fishing, I really don't need one that has a fishfinder (mounted to boat combo type) since I like the fish finder that is currently on my boat. So trying not to waste money, I'm assuming that brings me to the hand held types. Main options I'm looking for, able to plot/store in memory and have preloaded maps of "my" lakes.
    I just starting looking into this, so my ignorance meter is pegged. From what I have read, there are different companies that make/sell the maps.
    One of the question I have is are you limited to which "map maker" you can use/install in a certain GPS units? I'd hate to buy a unit I like the looks of but be disappointed in its available maps.
    Also, for the hand helds, it seems color screens = much shorter battery life ... true? Does this mean you scarifice details for battery life?
    Another appealing feature since mostly it will be used on the lake is waterproof/floats.

6. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My hand held GPS is black and white. And yes color= shorter battery life. But, you don't sacrifice detail with black and white. It is also waterproof and floats. It does have some pretty good TOPO maps for it and has lake maps available but I do not have the lake maps for it as I only use it on land.

As far as lake maps go, my Humminbird fish finder/GPS, I do not have maps for it, but it does chart where I have been and I can mark locations on it. The best feature that I use it for is the speed function for trolling and charting the track where I have trolled or drifted, or marking spots where I found structure.

If mapping lakes is your main interest, then you should look for the one that has the best Lake maps available. Sorry I can't help with that as I don't use that with my fish finder/GPS.

7. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    make sure it has the w.a.a.s. feature. this will allow you to get within 10'
    also get one that can hold a memory card so you can save thousands of way points. there's a game called geocaching that will help you learn how to use your unit. www.geocaching.com you'll be suprised how many cache's are hiddin in your area. just search your zip code.
    matt

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got me one of those last year for Christmas and can't figure it out. I turn it on and it says "no base map" even tho the book says it comes with one.:confused2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right. (Henry Ford)

9. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Did it come with a cd or some kind of memory card? what model and make do you have? I might be able to find something out about to get you going.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have a Garmin gpsmap 60Cs and a lowrance lcx111c hd both excelent units, as soon as get the 111 installed in My truck I'm gonna put the Garmin handheld up for sale. My Lowrance has a much larger screen and would be easier to use when driving.

11. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's an Etrex Legend, that's all I know. There was no memory card, just an instructional video. It has been awhile since I messed with it. It got so frustrating it almost ended up in the pond...:big_smile:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Two people shorten a road. (Irish Proverb)

12. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man Jeb, I hate to hear that. That GPS could become your best friend if you spend a ton of time outdoors as I do. I can't honestly say I've seen one say "No Basemap" before. A few of my buddies have Legends too and I haven't seen a one that had a problem. If you lived closer, I'd take a look at it for you. Only thing I could think of is upgrading the firmware in it. That upgrade possibly could contain the basemap if you have a really old version. You can do that with the data cable that came with it and access the firmware on Garmin's website.

13. capnmorgan

capnmorgan New Member

State:
    Texas
    great info guys thanks!

14. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bingo, Dave... I owe ya some reps. I went to their website and updated my gps. I don't spend a ton of time outdoors but prolly closer to a couple hundred lbs. Seems like I tried that some time back but was so uptight about the thing not working I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Be a day or two before I can check it out but thanks for getting me this far...:cool2:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A hundred men may make an encampment, but it takes a woman to make a home.

15. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I love my GPS! I have a Magellan sport trak map and I use it all the time! Fishing, hunting, scouting, hiking, ect. Super tool. easy to use! accurate to 3 feet. I can mark a tree in the woods and walk back to it in the dark and never have to worry about it. When running lines I mark the ends and if I tell you it's there then you can pick it up with my line hook. Magellan has some good deals going on right now too. I recomend not buying the cheapest one out there! get one that is WAAS activated they are much more accurate. Do a little reading on the net too. Lot's of info out there! Good luck There are several brands out there I just bought the Magellan and I like it I'm sure the other brands work well also.