GPS advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by Ol Man, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can someone steer me down the right path? I have been researching GPS Navigation Systems. Two that I am considering are the Tom Tom GO510 and the Garmin Streetpilot c530. Both run around $4oo. So far I'm leaning toward the Tom Tom. Any of you experienced GPS users got any pros or cons on these models or suggestions toward anything else in that price range...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I lost twenty pounds. Unfortunately, I was in England at the time.

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    My two bother-in-law's and I went to Lousianna after Katrina for clean up. One brother-in-law has a Garmin. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. After the storm, all of the street signs were gone - along with the house numbers, mail boxes, etc. And since we were in unfamilliar territory anyway, it made it really hard to get around. Since we were in different trucks, I needed a way to find my way around when I didn't have his Garmin. So, like you, I went and investigated and found that TomTom was the one for me.

Time has shown that I made the right decision. For example, the family was headed to my sister-in-law's lake house that no one had ever been to before, and my brother-in-law with the Garmin ended up in the middle of nowhere and had to call for directions. TomTom led me straight to her door. The house's driveway is shared with another house and TomTom even told me to take the left fork of the driveway!

I use the "Laura" voice on it, and my wife has started to question just how much the TomTom means to me. She wants to change the voice to some...guy. No deal. Laura has never steered me wrong, so I'm sticking with her.

(Well, there was this one time on the interstate during a bad storm, when lightening struck really close to the truck. Laura yelled "Turn left. Turn left!!" Not the best idea on the interstate, but we got our laughs out of it. So TomTom's scared of lightening - or Laura is, anyway.:0a5:)

Hope this helps.

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can I ask which model you have?
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Be as friendly to the janitor as you are to the chairman of the board.

4. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    It's the 510. And for $9.95 a month, you can suscribe to the service where you can get current weather and traffic info. Even if you don't use that service, it's still a useful tool. And it's very user friendly. You don't have to be a techo buff to figure your way around on it. Even a kid could work it.

One trick I've found is to make sure you know the offical name of the street your looking for - things like drive/ave or even differences like East Broad or Broad Street East can make a big difference.

It also has a lot of other great features, like Bluetooth - where you can hook your cell phone up to it. You can program it to turn the radio down while it's talking, or to adjust the voice volume according to your speed. And you get pretty accustomed to the having the info it gives you, like your arrival time, how many miles left until your destination, the direction your headed in, or...oh, man, too many things for me to list. (I like being able to see the resturants near by, and see what my choices are)

I hope this helps. If you want to know anything else about it, just ask. I'd be glad to run my mouth, to brag on Laura. And how bout let me know what you decide.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ronnie, I've been leaning towards the 510. I don't know but one person that has a gps navigator and it came installed on his latest truck. Thanks again for your reply...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    A dog inside a kennel barks at his fleas. A dog hunting does not notice them.

6. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Sounds like you are getting some sound advice on these "car type" GPS units. I don't have much experience with these type of GPS' because most of my GPS needs are for off-road applications like on the water of hiking in the woods. Therfore I use a handheld unit and a docking cradle for it when out in the boat.

I do know one thing, the Hertz rental car's "Never Lost" GPS seem pretty hoaky. I'm actrually on vacation right now and we happened to get a free "Never Lost" system in the rental car and I'd have to say, it's a pile of crap. I would hope that the Tom Toms and the Garmins would be better and it sounds like they are.

7. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a Garmin etrex legend that is totally beyond my comprehension. I know I'm prolly alone in that. It's just deeper than my shallow mind:embarassed:

~~~~~~~~~~
    Have children while your parents are still young enough to take care of them. (Rita Rudner)

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    :smile2: That's the same one I use. It has got me home safe and sound way too many times to remember. Ya just got to play with it a little while and get used to it.

9. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You tried straightening me out on that some time back. I haven't messed with it since. I'm afraid I'll throw it in the river...:smile2: My frustration threshold is real low at times.:smile2:
    Now that you've reminded me, I think I'll go get frustrated...:wink:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flowers will not grow but die if they don't get rained on every once in a while.