GPS Advice

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by gofish, Jun 7, 2006.

1. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    My old GPS bit the dust. I had a Magellan 315. It wasn't fancy and wasn't expensive. Just what I needed. While researching a replacement for the 315, I found out that it made the obsolete list on the Magellan website. Now I have to decide what I want as the replacement. I still don't need anything fancy or expensive. The main functions I use are the speedometer, waypoints, backtracking and 12v capability.

I'm looking at the Lowrance iFinder H2O (~$170) because it has programmable screens and has a 3" diagonal display. It also says that it comes with 12v power cord. I realize that it probably does way more than I'll ever need it for, but it falls right at the top end of the budget. Bigger is better right? :roll_eyes: I don't want my new gps to become obsolete any time soon.

I know that the gps topic has been discussed in detail here before but I couldn't find anything in the library and I briefly looked through the informative member posts...there was about 9 pages in no particular order.

Anyway, what do y'all use your gps for and does it suit your need? What features do you wish you had and what do you have that you don't need? Does anyone have any experience with the Lowrance brand gps? What would you suggest that would meet my needs? What is the ballpark price?

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Joe you can't go wrong with a Lowrance product.Better yet if they do a software upgrade you can down load it from their website.I use mine as part of my fishfinder not in a ground based application but I do know that dozens of Marines here use the Garmin E-Trec I think its called.I would always go with the bigger screen and I am waiting for a fishfinder with the same size screen as the old drive in movies.I don't care what it cost.:lol: :big_smile: :smile2:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joe I bet it will work great for you.
    Good luck and catch a lot of fish .
    Pete

4. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    I personally have a Garmin E-trex Legend. It works great and has saved my tails several times. My only complaints are that it is slow to download maps to and from the computer and I wish it had more memory. Other than that, it's dang near perfect for me.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Are you talking about the hand held model?

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Yes, I'm looking for a hand held model. $200 is more than I want to spend. I feel that the Lowrance brand is a winner also but I don't know anything about their gps units. Was hoping to get some input from someone who has one or has used one. I have a Lowrance fish finder and I love it!

The thing I don't like about Garmin is that the controls are on the side. Could be hard to operate while in a cradle. Anyone experience this?

7. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Joe,

I bought my first GPS this Winter and it's a Lowarance H2O. I've been pretty happy with it and you can also download quite a few "free" maps off their website. In order to do this you need a SD card and a adapter to plug the card into and the adapter into the computer. Then you can download any maps for free off thier website. You can also use any of the preprogammed cards to run in thier handhelds. I looked at buying a sd card and a adapter and was going to run about 45.00 dollars. I ended up buying Lowarance Mapcreate 6.0(100.00) and it came with a SD card, adapter and a 6 cd set of the entire US. I bought this since I drive about 65,000 miles a year for work and wanted some detail on the roads I was driving plus gives you a better map of your rivers and lakes. The software is pretty easy to use and you can download only certain portions as not to use too much memory on your card. The base software has the major roads and cities but the mapcreate will give you pretty much all the detail you need for everything but the lakes and rivers. Take a look and see at thier website and see if they have many of the lakes or rivers in your area that you fish. They have pretty good detail and have a lot of smaller bodies of water that are just loaded into the premium preprogrammed cards. This might be more than you want to spend but thought you might be interested in some other things you can buy for your H20. I have several smaller lakes 5000 acres and less that have great detail (river and creek channels) that I really like. I didn't have any local maps of these lakes and "free" downloadable maps really help.

8. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My dad bought a H2O pre-loaded with maps and it works very well. The only thing is you can't do very much in the regular setting. I leave it on the advanced settings. Good luck with your decision.

9. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Thank you for the replies. I'm still researching and saving my pennies. I'm probably going to go with the H2O since it seems like it will give me everything I need and is upgradeable. I'll have one soon! Thanks again guys!

10. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I HIGHLY recommend a Garmin unit. Their customer service is UNMATCHED! I have had a few problems & they have always taken care of me. One unit was a year out of warranty and they replaced it free. Look at any of the handhelds in the etrex line. Any of them (other than color) should be in your price range.

Eric