GPS Advice

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Whiskerkitty, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Whiskerkitty

Whiskerkitty New Member

State:
    NC
    Are any of you folks using GPS on the water? I'm thinking of buying one but I'm just getting started researching what I might need. Anyone have any advice on brands, models, etc.?

2. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I would advise a garmin , they are the best and been out there for a long time .. I have a Colorado , that can be used in any body of water in the US, and any road . It was like $600.00 brand new , If your serious about getting one let me know , this was the newest one garmin had out when I bought it about a year ago , I dont need it any more I quite fishing the ocean and my new fishfinder has one built into it ... The garmin is a hand held unit , and I have everything for it , hell it's still in the box cause I only used it a couple times ...I would part with it at a very reasonable price . Hope this helps .:big_smile:
    Nick

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The Eagle Cuda is a great finder with color for the best overall price.

4. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Do you guys have a preference on internal antenna versus external antenna module? Does one work better than the other on the boat?

5. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    The only advantage in the ext antenna is...... If you have a cabin style boat, and want to mount the unit inside the cabin, you'll need the ext antenna so you can mount it outside with a clear view to the sky. If you're mounting your unit on a open-cockpit boat, you'll be better off with the internal antenna. It has less electrical connections to corrode. I was out in the ocean with a fellow one day and his ext antenna unit quit working. The inline elect connector was corroded. If we hadn't been able to clean it we would still be riding up and down the coastline looking for the inlet buoy. LOL

6. Whiskerkitty

Whiskerkitty New Member

State:
    NC
    That Eagle Fishfinder/GPS looks pretty good. I hadn't thought of that. Is there any special software I'll need to show our local lakes?

7. wtjordan84

wtjordan84 New Member

State:
    NC
    ive had bad luck with Eagle in the past....yes they are cheaper but you get what you pay for. I would recommend a Garmin/Lowrance. Also Hummingbird has some nice GPS/fishfinder combos that arent too expensive. I wouldnt buy an Eagle b/c they are unreliable, but thats just my opinion

8. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I hear ya Wes. You can get a lemon when buying any product. I bought an Eagle OPTIMA sonar unit about 15 yrs ago. At the time it was their "top of the line" unit. Cost about $450.00. I used it for about five yrs. It is now on my father-in-law's skiff and still working just like new. It's been a goodun.

9. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i have an eagle cuda.........has never let me down!...but now im a river fisherman...........i dont use the gps..........and i dont look for fish.........:smile2:.........the only thing we use them for is depth, structure, and temp! if you want a good one buy you one with side imaging.........:smile2:they dont lye! you just have to justify the 3000+ price for them!:wink:

10. The Pirate

The Pirate New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Not sure if you still have this unit available... If so, Id like to talk to you... Please contact...

11. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I use a hand held unit on the boat. It doesn't contain maps or anything like that. It just helps me mark good spots so I can return to them, and it allows me to fish unfamiliar water without worrying about getting lost. I use an Etrex, costs about 100.00.

12. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Jim,
    Starting around the $150-175 neighborhood you can get a handheld that will run the lake software. Garmins have a good unit but you are married to their software. The lowrance hand helds can run Lowrance or Navionics software. And the Lowrance units i have used have the same menus and controls as their boat mounted units. I have not compared the new Lowrance handhelds to the new HDS yet- i look forward to doing that soon.
    This is not a post about what is best but what i like and dont like about both units.

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  14. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    can you buy a military grade GPS? that is more accurate.