GPD levels above Florence?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Oct 15, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Has anyone fished above the Cashua Ferry bridge on SC 34 lately? I need to make a trip up there; was wondering if the rocks can be crossed right now? Bill? anyone? Thanks.

2. weshossman

weshossman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    If you are talking bout the landing right on Hwy 34, and the rocks up from the landing. Looks like white water rapids.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's about what I figured, based on my experience in '08 during the drought. Thanks to both of you. Maybe I'll take the 'copter when I go. :wink:

5. copster

copster New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey guys, i was on the river at cashua ferry landing on hwy 34 today. it was very low. we looked at the dead river and all the logs were above water. the rocks were all visible. we went down river and at the red bnks you couls almost not cross. i hit bottom in my 15 foot war eagle. i drifted across and when i can back i had to lift the motor to get back. the deepest hole to the 95 bridge was 10 feet. they need some kind of regulation on the dam releases upstream. please tell me they have some coming. see ya guys.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yep, I was up there last Monday, and ended up keeping the boat on the trailer, walked upriver through the swamp to where I needed to go.
    Later, launched at Society Hill, where it was also very low. I did make it upriver about 9 miles or so, to where I wanted to go, but broke the skeg and damaged the prop at one area, in order to get across the shallow rock shoal. It was a calculated risk, but now I have to make repairs. :angry:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The simple solution is to bookmark the chart and view it before you go. With the current water release patterns at the dam, the river is up and down like a yoyo. When it gets down around 52 on this chart, exercise extreme caution.

Bill in SC

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I know all about the charts; use them all the time, but it was a necessity to go on that date, even knowing that a release was scheduled for the next day. Some Feds wanted to take a look up that way; flew in from Fla. despite out warnings. :smile2:
    The lowest I had ever been up there before was at 55.2' last year, so I was expecting the worst. I did make it all the way up to where we had planned to go, which was a little surprising to me. We were ok until we reached the stretch about where Domtar is, which is kind of what I had anticipated. I have all the shoals marked on my gps, but hadn't been up there when it was 52.4'. :wink:
    They did heed my advice against an attempt below Blewett Falls dam, at least, after we left Society Hill.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You NEED a jet drive for your business, Tommy!!!!! :wink: Yes, I know you are a chart man, because you were the one who turned me on to them.:big_smile: I know the various charts can be confusing to folks not familiar with them, with all the very different levels depending on the gauges. I just wanted to state that the 52 mark is the extreme caution guideline for the Bennettsville chart. Upriver from Society Hill does have it's challenges when low.

BB in SC

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wonder why the gauges differ so much? Exactly what does 52 mean on the Bennettsville chart? When the B'Ville chart says 52, the Pee Dee chart might say 2 or 3. It's very confusing, unless you are familiar with the chart for your particular area. It would seem that the charts would all be calibrated in such a way that they would all read the same. No way I could read a chart for a strange area and have any idea what to expect with the water level.

Bill in SC

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Down below where you select the datum, if you click on "Summary of all available data for this site" it will show the elevation above sea level that is used for that particular station. It varies from one station to another. Bennettsville at Domtar http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/nwisman/?site_no=02130561&agency_cd=USGS has a base of '0' above sea level, and the one near Smurfitt-Stone below 301 http://waterdata.usgs.gov/sc/nwis/uv/?site_no=02131010&PARAmeter_cd=00060,00062,00065,72020 uses a base of '20' above sea level, so that number is added to or subtracted from the current river level to give you the actual height above sea level.
    The gauge at Domtar shows actual height above sea level, but you would need to add 20' to the Smurfitt data to get the height above sea level.
    As of now, the upstream site shows 53.87' while the corrected height for the downstream site would be 31.10', reflecting the drop in elevation between the two areas. Of course the levels are affected locally by inflows or outflow that may not register yet on the next station, as levels fluctuate due to generation, rainfall, etc.
    At least this is the way one of those guys explained it to me once in an email. :big_smile:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Your information, as usual, is GREAT, Tommy!

Bill in SC

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Bill. I haven't been doing much posting lately due to a busy schedule, what with deer season and some other things. I had wondered about those water level datum, and emailed one of the guys a couple of years back, in order to understand how it all worked.
    Hoping to get back on the catfish more during November; been doing salt water lately during the hot weather.