Government Intelligence, Level of

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by AwShucks, Mar 1, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    About noon today while enroute to the house, my wife and I passed a crew installing fiber optics near the road. This is a county area, pastures, houses, livestock, etc, typical Oklahoma rurual country. One of the crew took a puff off a cigarette and threw it into the bar ditch... my jaw just fell open, and he just looked at me like he was asking if I wanted to make something of it... so, I got in the house and called the local police. They told me they were informed whenever a citizen called in to have them call 1-888-5-litter and report the incident. So, I call the litter line. After about 15 minutes on hold, a young lady asked how she could help me. I told her the incident, as I saw it, and how the local police had referred me to her number. She said okay, she needed to get some information from me... what was the make, model, color, and license plate of the vehicle. I asked what vehicle. She said the one the person through the cigarette out of... I said look lady, he was a construction worker standing alongside the roadway. He was not in a vehicle. She said, "Oh, we only take complaints about vehicles". I said "let me get this straight... the local police cannot do anything because they are to refer the citizens to this number, and you can't do anything because he wasn't in a vehicle.. right". She said "yes, that's right". So I come back with "then who in the h___ am I supposed to report this to". She said, just a minute and I'll speak to my supervisor. After about 4 minutes she returned and stated they would call my local police department and ask them to send a patrol car there to speak to the foreman. GRRRRRRR I thought I put this idiotic stuff behind me when I got out of the service. Oh well, at least I finished the day by catching 23 bass on artificials. Wasn't a total waste.

2. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    i don't think it's illeagle to throw cig butts out. I see cops up around here do it all the time. And also all that firefighters that i work with. If it is nobody will do anything.

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    its agaisnt the law to throw a cig out here in cali but trying to get anything done about it is another matter. about the only way to get anything done here is to have the plate number of the vehicle they are in. I have seen people tossing garbage out of thier pickup alongside a road one nite i took down the plate number and called it in they they wasked me what are they supposed to do about it i just said never mind then and hungup and kept driving to the lake.

4. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Hey all, you are missing the point here (not to your fault).

Oklahoma is currently dry as a bone and under a burn ban, and tossing cigarettes in the ditch is a big No-No at this time. Just last night on the news was a film of a man's barn and tractor buring, from a fire suspected started on the highway from a cigarette. Yesterday coming home from work Tulsa had fires to the East, South, and one in a park in South Tulsa. The radio was reporting they thought at least 2 of these fires were from cigarettes. The whole city was covered in smoke.

This is just the latest outbreak, as over the months Oklahoma has lost thousands of acres, hundreds of houses, barns, tractors, and vehicles to wildfires.

We are all praying for rain.

5. catmando

catmando New Member

State:
    Colorado
    :mad: My god, I don’t care if people want to kill themselves by smoking but you don’t have to be trashy and ignorant. I cant stand cigarette smokers I'm tired of seeing tax payers pay for there health care of these ignorant people. but thats just me......

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    takes a real genius to throw a lit butt down on dry grass....
    the lack of interest on the part of the cops is appalling...you should have called the fire marshall - i bet he would have been interested

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Isn't it just a kick in the gut when you try to do the right thing and it seems nobody cares?! It is illegal right now to throw lit cigarettes out.

I bet Brad Edwards would care..... Nothing like a story on the 6:00 news to get some people's butts :) out of their chairs.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That reminds me of the time I was at a stop light, behind a local pizza establishment delivery car and the guy opens the door and dumps about 3 lbs of ashes out on the road from the ashtray, butts everywhere, it really torked me off so I follow him back to the store, go in and ask to see the manager, he comes out and I tell him that a representative of his company is littering and that shows bad for the company as a whole. He says "wait a minute, let me see if I got this right" and he proceeds to belittle me and actually gets into a shouting match with me saying how its company policy that the drivers are not to smoke in the cars but the company is "crazy" and "we" smokers have a right to smoke in the darn cars if we want to, blah blah blah so I just left , Since he was a smoker and felt the company was wrong, he saw no problems with what the driver did.
    Kill yourself if you want to, but it bothers me to no end when I see smokers, dry grass or not, pitching butts. (especially where I fish):mad: :mad:

Salmonid

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    And the congregation says AMEN! :thumbsup:

10. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Is it even proper to put Government and Intelligence in the same sentence?

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Next time, simplify it, contact a manager at the company of the working crew, simply advise them that you saw a member of their crew thow a lit cigarett into tall, dry grass. Tell them that you are going to film it next time, and send it to the news. There WONT be a next time

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Most states have a State Fire Marshal.You have a Forresty Dept.Also,the HOME office of their insurer would love to hear about libilities and potential lawsuits for damage,if they caused a fire.Their local agent may be their kinfolk or buddy.He works on commision and does not wish to lose this.Forget him.They may have been contracted by your local telephone company.Remind them of thier cost in ligitation if a fire gets out.Call around to your neighbors and let them know the danger they are in.Let every one know that a person is delibrately,willfuly and knowingly attempting to start fires by throwing lit cigerettes out.Report him for attempted arson.He is not stupid.This is what he is doing.He is sick and knows that he is doing something that can kill.They have to make a report.The law REQUIRES you to do this,when you see a crime being commited.This person is a danger to you all.I smoked for 30 years.I had no right to delibertly risk peoples life and property I fought people like this when I did smoke.If you let it go,you may have to share the blame for the death and destruction that can happen.If your local law refuses to uphold the law when it is life threatening,call your state.The life you save,may be someone you love.Not only will property be lost,but someone will die if he is not stoped.A lot of good people have died because of people like him.peewee-williams

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You know, I spent my time in the military to support that individual's freedom to smoke. I've spent my time supporting your right to dislike smokers. As long as our country is what it is...everyone has rights. It just irritates me to see someone take that right for granted and abuse it. Just because we are fortunate, does not give us the right to be ignorant. Ever wonder why we are "ugly americans?"

14. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Shucks, Here is the the bad part of this. For those of us that have served in military in order to preserve the rights we all enjoy. There are going to be those idiots that are going to do what they want too. Reguardless of the outcome or potental outcome. I think that one of my rights should be to shoot idiots that are just plain stupid. In order to put them out of my misery. But since that tends to break laws i can't/don't do it.

Anyways hats off to all of us vets. We have all done our part.