Gotta vent about trotlines...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PTDixieGal, Jul 17, 2008.

What would you do

1. I wouldn't say anything. I'm running the trotline!

2. I wouldn't say anything. It's not my business.

3. I'd tell them that they can't run a trotline here.

4. I wouldn't say anything to them, but I would tell the police/park ranger.

5. Other

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    OK first off let me explain, I'm NOT saying that using trotlines is a bad idea. However, I've gotta vent about this!!!

I was out fishing at Lake Cherrywood, which is one of the "family fishing" program lakes. These lakes have special restrictions and limits, ie, 3 catfish per day. No trotlines, bowfishing, yo-yos, jugs, et cetera are allowed.

Anyway I was fishing off the banks of Lake Cherrywood when I get a strike. I start reeling it in, only to get the line snagged, and it was NOT in brush. What was it? SOMEONE'S TROTLINE. I moved to another area of the lake, and it happened a second time.

Which made me so mad that someone would do that when they aren't supposed to!!! Made me want to take a sheet of paper, a plastic bag, a pen, my serrated knife (one of the lines was tied off with fishing line), and a brick so I could write a note that says, "Hey idiot!!! The regs state that NO TROTLINES are allowed. My hook found your trotline so I was kind enough to dispose of any responsibility that the police would have placed upon you had you been caught. If you want your trotline back, get some scuba gear...it's in the lake," cut the line, put the note in the bag and seal it, tie it to the secured portion of the line, and put the brick on the line so it goes back under the water.

But then I thought about how many people do things when they know they shouldn't...everything from running trotlines when they shouldn't to eating a grape in the grocery store. How many of you would do something if you saw someone running a trotline and you knew that they shouldn't, and what would you do?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

if there illegal in the area but untagged not much ya can do. if ya do cut them at least put them in a trash recepticle. they do harm at the bottom.:wink: if ya see a conservation officer you can inform him there there too. they may check up on it.

some think i try and antagonize arguments. well in response and my defense. if someones breaking the law. turn them in. and if there illegal. then there illegal. its the unsportsmanlike stuff i get going on. if and when i do set these and banklines. wich is seldom. i am within the law and tag mine as to let thoes who look know whos they are. i wont defend them to much if there illegal. but propper thing to do is notify the dnr.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    call the game ranger and let him deal with it is my advice.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    These are the type of people that give trotliners a bad name in most cases. You should call a game warden in on this, this carries a heavy fine. I doubt that they will do it again once they are delt with.

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    be careful if you decide to take the line out your self. those folks who trotline are said to be an unsavory, unsportsman like bunch of outlaws.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If it's illegal, call the warden. If he don't come and remove it, cut the thing into 1 foot sections and leave it in the baggie you mentioned with a note sayin your gonna have the mafia break his paddle if it happens again.:smile2: I'm not one to mess with another mans tackle, but in this case i definitely would, and hope whoever owned it said something.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oh man im not going there lol. im pooped with all these "traditional threads" i want to get along .:beat_brick:

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Me too Jeremy!!! Let's go fish'n!!!

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    OOps my bad yall didnt mean to pick im runnin the trotline, didnt read the question and guessed it was somethin else, but i would have to say that i wouldnt say anything about it, granted this is illegal, but i dont believe you should get in other peoples buisness about this, if you tell the game warden and stuff because its illegal thats your thing, but think about this, if you break any other law and say its okay, then you cant say that this aint okay just becase you dont like it

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Correct me if i'm wrong. Your saying if i was speeding going to the bank, i shouldn't report it if it's being robbed?:confused2:

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ill buy breakfast, you buy the gas.:wink:

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Originally Posted by slabmaster [​IMG]
    be careful if you decide to take the line out your self. those folks who trotline are said to be an unsavory, unsportsman like bunch of outlaws.

what????? you mean folks who are runnin lines in general, or ones that are running them where they know they shouldn't be? i'm sure it's the latter, but i have to ask.

sounds like kids doing it, and they probably don't know any better. i say this because you said they were tied off with fishing line. anyone who knows anything about it wouldn't be using fishing line. reminds me of when i was a little kid and we'd get all kinds of harebrained ideas listening to the old timers' war stories. lucky we're still alive, some of the crap we pulled we didn't understand the ethical reasons of not doing.... live and learn!

13. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    in this situation i would call the gamewarden

2 weeks ago i did this same thing i called the game warden and let him know there was a line for 3 days not tagged and unatended

on another note what is going on is this talk about set liners and juggers week must be the moon or something already 5 posts on subjects like this one:wink:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats a trick Q,lol.:smile2: ill report it as im speeding away lmao.:smile2:

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would cut it wether it was legal or not!

just kidding guys!! LOL!!!

your all probly thinking oh s!*% here he goes again LOL!!!
    I would call the gamewarden...............but if it was in my honeyhole cut!! LOL!!!:smile2:

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    No use getting mixed up in this, I would tell the Ranger AND the Warden to fix the problem

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Catfish for supper anyone??????:eek:oooh:

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i had bluegill today. :cool2:

19. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So here we go again. Just because someone doesn't like a particular method of fishing they have to portray people who do as a lower class of people. I obey all laws when setting mine out. I try to place mine in areas where hopefully they won't be discovered. What about the people that do cut other people's trotlines? Is that appropiate behavior for people who don't like trotlines? I know I get mad when my lines get cut or stolen. Usually a bass fisherman will cut one end and let the hooks tangle on the bottom. Do any of you know how much hooks cost? The last box of 100 10/0 mustads cost me $100.00. That is why a lot of guys around here hide in the woods waiting to catch someone jacking with their lines. Outlaw? For your information I am a full time police officer.

20. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    didnt say that just said if you have broken the law, and not regretted it, then you shouldnt get onto someone who broke a law just because you believe that particular law should be abided by