gotta love wallyworld

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by massa_jorge, Aug 6, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    took the kids into walmart to get some shells for tomorrow's prairie dog shoot. i picked up some hunting annuals for the kids and i, then flagged down a manager to get some shells from behind the glass. he tells me he can't sell me ammo after 10 pm from behind the case. i tell him there's no law in tx against it. then he tells me, word for word: 'walmart cannot be held liable for some drunk husband shooting his wife.' i didn't know whether to laugh or get mad. he stared at me and i stared at him, then i explained about all the night time varmint hunting we do around here. i respect the policy, just not what he said, you know? i looked past the glass case and saw a display of 12 and 20 gauge shells on an endcap for the upcoming dove season. i ask if i can buy those, and he says sure. they're not behind the glass. it all left me kind of confused, haha. thanks for letting me vent....

2. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Yep, most of the glass cases around here are empty.

I don't think a walmart store that is close to another 1 has the same products. And never the same price on some items. I check out the clearance items first. 1 store had malibu jigs for .25, another store had them for .05 for a pack of 10. I can't buy the hooks to make my own for that price, so I got all they had.
    I use to work the 11 to 7 shift. I'd make a walmart run on thrusday mornings after work. I'd drive about 25 miles and hit 5 stores. Got to know some of the managers of the different departments. I got a shopping cart full of 12 and 20gauge shells, 10 pack of copper plate turkey loads for .75, 25 pack of game loads for .80, from 1 store. A display of folgers coffee at all stores would be different prices.
    A 10 pack of suet cakes, bird food, at 1 store is 7.00 and a 8 pack for 8.00 at another.
    I was looking for the hose washers that have the screen in them. I was told that people didn't like them because they clog. So they stopped carrying them. Nothing like setting up a lawn sprinkler and finding that it does work right because a bug was in the hose, now you have to take the sprinkler apart and clean it out.
    Another vent, thank you

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I knew the walmart where I am from wouldnt sell firearms after 10. But ammo. and why can they sell ammo on the shelf that isnt behind the counter?

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the one here in lincoln wont sell it after 9pm.:angry: tried to get some 9mm at 9:30 a while back because i had been looking for them on a regular basis with the big shortage and stockpile everyones doing. he said that ide have to come back at 7am. i said no thanks. they turn in the keys to the cabinet at 9. and they wont sell the end cap shells either. NO AMMO after 9 is there deal.

5. JKitterman

JKitterman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The time thing may have to do with when the counters have valid help on the schedule. If they stop selling firearms and ammo after 9pm, then they don't have to have somebody familiar with all the laws and any required training after that time. The reasons they may make up are funny though.

6. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    I was going to buy a muzzleloader at 1 of the wally worlds here, and they started filling out the paper work for the state police background check and registration, I told them that wasn't required for a muzzleloader, in fact you can get them mail order from catalogs, and they said they can't sell a gun without it. Don't think the moron knew the difference beteen a muzzleloader and a regular rifle. Went across the street to a sporting goods store and bought 1, only thing I had to sign was the credit card receipt.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats probably true to the fact. last time i got ammo the KID and i mean KID at the sporting goods counter had to call a manager to sell ammo. no F.O.I.D card. so my first Q was what the hell are you doing working the sporting good counter for then? so the female worker shows up and wants to know if she needs to walk me out to the car? i said what? not hardly. she said in south carolina she knew they had to walk ya out with ammo. i told here they walked out with me when i bought a gun years ago before they stopped selling them but ammo i have walked around shopping with it in the cart for hrs. she replied "theres a lot of rednecks down south" lmao. if she only knew im one of them lmao. my e-mail is catfishredneck@--------.com

so that made two of two at the sporting goods counter that knew 0 about the laws. one fella darrell that works down there knows them pretty good. he was telling me that one (wal mart) in southern il where his brother works got a tarus 4-10-45colt judge pistol in under a shotgun. there ffl liscense doesnt cover pistol sales so the manager said get rid of it. reduce it and get it out of here. darrell was there that week visiting him and got the 7" barell 3 inch magnum cylinder judge for $299.:crazy: about 1/2 price.

i got my cva .45 cal muzzeloader at the one here for $45 as they were getting rid of the gun sales. a $130 gun and ive killed dozens of deer with it. most accurate gun i think i have. never adjusted the scope since i locktighted the thing on. a $30 bsa i got from my cuz for a $20 bill.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  8. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I thought you could do anything in Texas?

9. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I think that Dick's Sporting Goods is the worst, though. I was inside one of them and someone asked an employee over by the hunting and paint pellet section if Dick's sold handguns? The employee told them "No, handguns are illegal in Madison, Wisconsin. If you move to Madison and own a handgun you have thirty days to get rid of them or it's a felony."

WTF? I asked the employee about it and he told me it was store policy to tell people that. They also won't sell semi-automatic rifles because they are the same as machine guns to some people. I asked him why they had handgun ammo rifles and shotguns and promoted people shooting each other? He asked me what I was talking about, shooting people. I asked what paint pellet guns were for? I think Dick's Unsporting Goods is a west coast company, judging by the lures they stock.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    It used to be 11 pm here but I havent bought any ammo from Walmart for awhile. I dont think Kmart sells it after 9 or 10 either.

11. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    From what I gather our wally's is one of the last to sell guns? When Lincoln clearenced their guns out we were visiting the wifes family and hit it just right. Got some real good deals. Bought several New England single shots for $60ea, one .410 for $40. Nice assortment of .22's and repeating shotguns. They were getting nervous as to why I was buying so many guns,lol,ended up having to have the father in law finish the shopping.

12. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    No such thing in SC. I've never had a problem buying ammo, and I've never had to be walked out of the store with it. I don't buy too much of that kind of stuff at walmart anyway. I didn't know Walmart was getting out of selling guns though. The new one here doesn't have them, but all of the old ones do.

The Dick's here sells all kinds of rifles, but I don't think they sell handguns though. They do sell handgun ammo.

Most places will walk you out with guns though.

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    No issues in our area here. But then again could be a nut out there so it may have some ups an downs. Best to have someone lead em out.

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    They still sell gun in Kentucky.
    I went into a Wally World one time and I do not remember where bit it was between Florida and Arkansas. I needed some Shotgun shells, ammo and a can of black spray paint that my uncle said he needed at the hunt camp and I told him I would get.
    After scanning the 4 cases of 12 gauge ammo, 2 boxes of 30/06 and 2 boxes of 30/30 the clerk scanned the can of spray paint and it made a beep and I had to show him proof that I was over 18yo to purchase the can of spray paint. :eek:oooh:

15. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The Wal Mart in my city still sells rifles but stopped selling handguns several years ago. One night several years ago I went to Wal Mart to buy .22 long rifle shells after I got off work at 11:00 p.m. and was told by the cashier that she could not sell them to me because they could be chambered in a handgun and that it was against the law to sell handgun ammo after a certain time. I told her that Oklahoma did not have a law like that and that it didn't make sense that I couldn't buy little .22 bullets but I could buy rifle bullets. I pointed to the .410 shells on the shelf and asked if I could buy them. She said yes. I told her that there was a derringer that was chambered for .45 Long Colt or .410 and that Thompson Center made a single shot handgun that also shot .45 Colt or .410 shotgun shells. I also told her that Thompson Center chambered several rifle rounds in their single shot Contender pistol and that if such a law did exist that she had probably broken it repeatedly. The security guard, whom I knew, came to get the ladies money from the register and he had a manager with him. The security guard was the police chief of the neighboring city and he told her and the manager that no such law existed. The manager told her to sell me the bullets. Another great thing about Wal Mart is right before deer season when they put out the big displays of rifle bullets, they also put out displays of slugs and buckshot. Buckshot is illegal to deer hunt with in Oklahoma.

16. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    My son went up to our Walmart to get some clay pigeons and shells. He noticed they had 9mm in the case. He told the lady he wanted two boxes. she said the also had another brand two dollars cheaper. He agreed to buy them instead. when he checked out she only rang up one box. he got 100 9mm for 4.99. not a bad deal. i wish he would have gotten more.

17. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I went in one time to get some cheaper ammo for my handgun to just plink with that afternoon with some buddies. The lady rang up the shells then wouldn't sell them to me because I wasn't 25??? :eek:oooh: After arguing with her for a couple minutes I just had to laugh and walk out before I said something I would have regretted

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just got to remember where you were LOL !!!:roll_eyes::confused2:

19. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I had a similar situation. I went to take my friend's young son dove & hog hunting early one Sunday morning & the clerk @ Wally World told me that he couldn't sell me shells until after 12 O'clock. I told him that they weren't alcohol & that I'd be done hunting by 12 anyway.

He just shrugged his shoulders & told me that's the way it is !!!!, Any way digging behind my seat saved the day :smile2:

20. phase5supply

phase5supply New Member

State:
    Hope Mills, NC
    The Walmart 's around here will not sell hunting or fishing license after 9:00 at night. I have a gun store so I don't buy ammo or guns from them but the stories I here are crazy. Nothing surprises me about them. :embarassed: I make a living off who they run off, some of my best customers came from Walmart:big_smile: